• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pain relief injections... U/D

KTJ

Alpha Buck
When I had Flopsy neutered a few months ago, he stayed in over night at the vets as he hadn't passed urine or poops, and ended up having a gut stimulant injection. When I picked him up the following day, (24 hours after his operation) I was told he had received a pain relief injection and I was given no additional pain relief to administer for him at home.

2 of my other male buns are being neutered today, and providing they have gone to the toilet before 5pm, I might be able to pick them up this evening, but if they are given a pain relief injection today, do I need to ensure I pick up more pain relief for the next few days?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I have so much faith in my vets, I just can't bare the thought of my buns being in pain and wanted to double check with people on here that if I am not given the extra pain relief when I pick them up, whether I am entitled to ask for it xx

Yes. I always get additional pain killers and give for at least 3 days after the operation. I use oral metacam.

I would say yes! The jabs only last for 24 hours! I'd like to see the guys at the vets have their bits lopped off without painrelief the second day!! :shock:

You can get metacam in a bottle that you can give them from a syrienge - my boys yum it so you shouldn't have to force it down them at all.

As for the littertray thing, can't you do what you did before (you still owe me that tenner!!) and take the buns home, then bring them back in if they don't use it there? My boys always keep their legs firmly crossed at the vets.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the guys at the vets have their bits lopped off without painrelief the second day!! :shock:

bloke who used to work here had his bits done and came to work the next day without pain killer :p

I never needed any with Alvin, he seemed fine the next day and he healed without any complications :D

Thank you for your replies Sky-O and Hoppit, I will definitely be requesting more pain relief then. I was given nothing for Flopsy :shock: It's no wonder he still hates me! :(

Hoppit, I think I owe you about 20 now to be honest, considering one of the boys being neutered today is Alfie... the dutch who I was meant to be "fostering" :lol: I found him a very good home.... with me! (although he may not agree today) .... but yes, Furby I can easily keep an eye on as he is an indoor litter trained bun and has a massive dog crate that he sleeps in, so I may shut him in there to help stop him bounding around and possibly hurt his wounds. Alfie, I think I will keep inside this evening too and monitor his wees and poops, because your boys are very similar to my boys... they hold on to it until they get home, and then they don't stop!

My dog is on metacam everyday (he wont be around much longer :( ) so if I speak to the vet about how much the buns will need, do you reckon it will be ok to share my dog's medication, or does metacam have a different strength for the various animals?

Ps. Donnamt, thank you also for your reply, I think you posted whilst I was typing! That guy at work sounds MAD or very brave :lol:

Thank you for your replies Sky-O and Hoppit, I will definitely be requesting more pain relief then. I was given nothing for Flopsy :shock: It's no wonder he still hates me! :(

Hoppit, I think I owe you about 20 now to be honest, considering one of the boys being neutered today is Alfie... the dutch who I was meant to be "fostering" :lol: I found him a very good home.... with me! (although he may not agree today) .... but yes, Furby I can easily keep an eye on as he is an indoor litter trained bun and has a massive dog crate that he sleeps in, so I may shut him in there to help stop him bounding around and possibly hurt his wounds. Alfie, I think I will keep inside this evening too and monitor his wees and poops, because your boys are very similar to my boys... they hold on to it until they get home, and then they don't stop!

My dog is on metacam everyday (he wont be around much longer :( ) so if I speak to the vet about how much the buns will need, do you reckon it will be ok to share my dog's medication, or does metacam have a different strength for the various animals?

Ps. Donnamt, thank you also for your reply, I think you posted whilst I was typing! That guy at work sounds MAD or very brave :lol:

i thought stupid myself :lol::lol::lol::lol: he did walk funny for a few days :shock:

i thought stupid myself :lol::lol::lol::lol: he did walk funny for a few days :shock:

:lol: I agree! I bet he walked so weirdly! I'm not a horrible person at all, I deem myself quite friendly and fun... but I still would've loved to have seen that man trying to walk!!

I have to ask for pain relief, my 3 boys never got any post-op because I never knew to ask :wave: my old vets didnt really seem to believe in pain relief :roll:. Ask for whatever you think your buns need!

The Metacam I use for my buns is the dog Metacam so that should be fine. I also bring my bunnies home before they go to the toilet because they tend to relax and go quicker at home than at the vets.

Good luck :)

Haha, I'm gunna get rich at this rate! :lol: I'm sooo glad you decided to keep Alfie - he's precious!

Hun, Flopsy doesn't hate you!! You're his mum! I worried for years that Pickles hated me, but we're best friends now. Give it a few months for his hormones to settle and you'll get there with your boy.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. :( It's never easy when you know that your baby's days are numbered. Lots of vibes for him. Yep, dog metacam is fine. I give Ginger about 6mls, and he's about the same weight, or skinnier than yours, so that'd be fine. It's probably best to ask the vet though, to be certain.

Good luck with the neuterings tomorrow. When it's done it's done, and then you've got the joy of bonding to look forward to. :D

I have to ask for pain relief, my 3 boys never got any post-op because I never knew to ask :wave: my old vets didnt really seem to believe in pain relief :roll:. Ask for whatever you think your buns need!

I know how you feel :( that's why I asked the people on here whether I was entitled to ask for extra pain relief, because I don't want the vets to think Im being demanding and suggesting I know whats best, but equally, I don't want my buns to suffer! I can't believe your old vets :evil: Like Hoppit said, the vets should try having their plums removed with no pain killer!

Sky-O, I'm so glad I didn't suggest something as crazy as my dog and rabbits sharing the same medication, but if your buns use the dog one, then hopefully if take in my dog's metacam, they can show me how much to use. Thanks for the luck, I feel so lucky to have found this forum, it really has improved the way I look after my buns, therefore making their lives so much happier.... although I'm not so sure Aflie and Furby will agree for a few days!

Just to let you know that the vets have just rang and both my boys are wide awake! :D:D:D Neither are eating/drinking/weeing/pooping yet, but they vets said they are happy for me to pick them up at 5pm this evening!!!!!
*fingers crossed* nothing goes wrong now! I will be taking the metacam to the vets to ensure they both get sufficient pain relief for the next few days! So happy right now!! I love my boys, the little stars!! :love:

ps. Does anyone know of any male buns who have pulled at their wounds and needed to go back to the vets? I recently heard of the 2 female buns that did that :( and just slightly worried about mine, despite the fact I'll be monitoring them 24/7 (Im a worrier)

Just to let you know that the vets have just rang and both my boys are wide awake! :D:D:D Neither are eating/drinking/weeing/pooping yet, but they vets said they are happy for me to pick them up at 5pm this evening!!!!!
*fingers crossed* nothing goes wrong now! I will be taking the metacam to the vets to ensure they both get sufficient pain relief for the next few days! So happy right now!! I love my boys, the little stars!! :love:

ps. Does anyone know of any male buns who have pulled at their wounds and needed to go back to the vets? I recently heard of the 2 female buns that did that :( and just slightly worried about mine, despite the fact I'll be monitoring them 24/7 (Im a worrier)

Missy SJ's peanut opened himself back up on the night of the op

Awww, I thought it was tomorrow! So glad they're ok. :D Keep them caged up for the next couple of days, and they'll be fine.

Well my boys are back home with me now... Furby has been locked in his dog crate (vets advice to restrict movement for a few hours) and Alfie is also in my room... I've made a makeshift pen for him so he has his littertray, food, water, some nommy treats and some of his toys. No poops or wees yet :(

I have a concern though... and this is precisely why I started this thread, because I was worried about my buns not receiving enough pain relief after their ops. They have both been given a pain relief injection, and I asked the vet what additional pain relief to give them and he said "well they've had their injections which last about 48 hours, and if they are eating drinking and going to the toilet by then, they will be fine" :( I said that I was quite happy to buy some metacam or use some of my dog's and syringe the correct amount to them for the next 2-3 days, and his response was "well it's a good thought, but the thing with metacam, is that there is a very fine line between the correct amounts, and its too hard to determine what is safe" :?

Neither of them have eaten or drank anything since their ops this afternoon, and they both seem very calm, which is obviously to be expected, but I am worried my poor babies will be in pain tomorrow. Should I take them back tomorrow? They have a post-op check on Monday, but my worry is that the pain they might suffer will be over the weekend when they are shut :(
Even the receptionist said that the vet had cancelled the bunnies medication which was coming from one of their other surgeries because he didnt think they needed it... please someone tell me what to do. I want to do what is right by my rabbits, but I didn't want to push the vet as he (technically) is the one that should know best :cry:

You've already got some dog metacam at home, don't you? And a syrienge? If so I'd leave it, but keep an eye on the buns. If they're obviously in pain (quiet/tooth grinding/not eating etc) I'd measure them out 6mls. 6mls is what Ginge has, and that'll be less than what your boys need. Obviously that won't be as effective as the full dose but it'll help.

I'm sorry the vets weren't very helpful. :(

You've already got some dog metacam at home, don't you? And a syrienge? If so I'd leave it, but keep an eye on the buns. If they're obviously in pain (quiet/tooth grinding/not eating etc) I'd measure them out 6mls. 6mls is what Ginge has, and that'll be less than what your boys need. Obviously that won't be as effective as the full dose but it'll help.

I'm sorry the vets weren't very helpful. :(

Thank you for your quick reply, I do have the metacam and I have a tiny syringe aswell from when my pet rat was ill, which will be perfect. I'll keep a close eye on the buns, Im sat watching them both right now. I know them both really well so I trust myself to notice if anything is wrong. I've NEVER had a bad word to say about my vets, EVER, they are absolutely brilliant... I was just really hoping I could get some pain relief for the boys, and when I was told basically no, I drove home panicking that they would be in pain, so thankyou SO much for telling me about the metacam dose, I may not even need to give them any, it's just nice to know I can give them some "just in case".

Back