• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch roof slope and door options-updated to make more sence

Hutch design options

• Sloping forward

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Sloping back

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • double door

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Single door

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 20:80

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 30:70

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 40:60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50:50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
As in the poll really (I've made it multiple so you can pick one of each)

Roof:
Sloping forward would have back higher then the front and sloping back would be the opposite.

Door options:
With the double door option the meshed bit would be split in half and both have seperate doors....this would reduce the amount of space in the door arc (if that makes sence)
With the single door it would just be the large mesh door.
ETA: there would still be a seperate door for the enclosed living space, so the doulbe meshed would in effect have 3 doors, and the single meshed would have 2.

Area divisions:

Living:Meshed

ETA: Size wise I would be looking at making hutches at 6,7 & 8 ft x 2/3 x 2/3 or to individual order specs

Thanks for your input....rescues would be most appreciates as to what you would prefer to rehome to :wave:

Last edited:
Area divisions how big is the total area?

What are you hoping to put in it 2 pairs?

Personally I'd have the roof higher at the front and a over hang as it helps keep the rain away from the front of the door.

You say your double door would be 2 mesh doors is that right rather than a wooden door or have I read that wrong.

If that's the case, I like double/split doors but if it's possible I'd have interchangeable doors for winter and summer. I find the shed gets colder than the stand alone hutches in the winter months but can be baking in the summer even with the window open all the time (it's heavy meshed) and the door open.

If I haven't understood anything properly please correct me.

Area divisions how big is the total area?

What are you hoping to put in it 2 pairs?

Personally I'd have the roof higher at the front and a over hang as it helps keep the rain away from the front of the door.

You say your double door would be 2 mesh doors is that right rather than a wooden door or have I read that wrong.

If that's the case, I like double/split doors but if it's possible I'd have interchangeable doors for winter and summer. I find the shed gets colder than the stand alone hutches in the winter months but can be baking in the summer even with the window open all the time (it's heavy meshed) and the door open.

If I haven't understood anything properly please correct me.

Thanks so much for your reply.....
I've adjusted the first post so it makes more sense :wave:

The double doors would only be in the meshed part, so there would still be a seperate solid door for the enclosed space. In effect there would be 3 doors.

Total area wise I'd be looking at producing a variety of sizes, 6,7 & 8 ft with a width of 2-3 ft and a height of about the same at the tallest point.

There could also be an over hang with the sloping forward....I'd just extent the roof.

I'm quite tempted to produce to order too though

Roof sloping back would be a definite for me - for reason stated above -the rain falls off the back not the front across the doors.

3 doors on front rather than 2. Really big doors can be clumsy to handle and it's easier to keep the bunnies in place if the door/opening is smaller!

I've voted 20:80 for the living space but considered 30:70. For me that would depend on the size of the rabbits, and how many.

At the moment I have a minilop in a 6x2x2 hutch and 1/3 of it is the enclosed bit - that's too much in his case, a much smaller area would be preferable but it would depend entirely on the size of the buns to make that decision.

Back