• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big Fight :(

katie2000

Alpha Buck
There was a fight today after I brought Pipkin back home from the vets after his dental :( Blackberry attacked him and there was just a mass of teeth and claws - it was horrible. There were some nasty growling noises too.

I managed to seperate them and have checked them thoroughly for injuries and can't see any. I have left Pipkin in the outhouse to recover from his op and have set up a pen for blackberry in the kitchen for tonight. What can I do next? Shall I seperate for a while before I try to rebond?

I don't understand why this has happened :? There is sometimes a little bit of fur pulling and mounting when one comes home smelling of vets but never seen anything this bad before :? Will they ever go back together?

I am really upset, they are normally the best of friends

I'm not an expert, but I would certainly keep them physically apart until Pipkin recovers as you plan. Is there any way you can have them together but separated by wire mesh so they don't get too used to being apart? Otherwise I think you will have to put aside a couple of days to rebond them properly later.

Our two males fought and were separated for several months, but rebonded okay and are happy again together. It's upsetting when they fight, but I'm sure they will go back together even if it takes a while.

I would suspect this happened because Pipkin smells different and Blackberry doesn't realise its the same rabbit who left this morning.

Hopefully rebonding won't be too hard when Pipkin is feeling better. Maybe a car journey together could be enough to do it.

I'm not an expert, but I would certainly keep them physically apart until Pipkin recovers as you plan. Is there any way you can have them together but separated by wire mesh so they don't get too used to being apart? Otherwise I think you will have to put aside a couple of days to rebond them properly later.

Our two males fought and were separated for several months, but rebonded okay and are happy again together. It's upsetting when they fight, but I'm sure they will go back together even if it takes a while.

Agree with this. It might help maintain some sort of bond if you're lucky. Generally after a fight if you separate you will have to rebond again but not always. I understand you wanting to keep them separate whilst Pipkin recovers. In future can you not take them both to the vet together? Our vets allow us to bring both our buns so that the companion bun can be with the bun having treatment all the way through, this is the best way to prevent broken bonds with vet smells and separation - which sadly does happen. Like Tintin says i'm sure they'll rebond - you will just need to set aside some time and some neutral space to try it again when Pipkin is ok.

As Pipkin is recovering from a GA anyway, why not bring him into the warmth of the kitchen as well and have them side by side but separated by wire mesh if you can find a way to safely do this.

I think the car ride sounds a good idea Also, have them near each other and stroke them alternately so you are mixing up the scents.

I think the car ride sounds a good idea Also, have them near each other and stroke them alternately so you are mixing up the scents.

Or rub down Blackberry with a cloth and then rub Pipkin all over with that cloth to transfer Blackberry's scent. :)

Aww no, loads of 're-bonding' vibes. I would suggest next time Pipkin goes for his dental, have his friend go too.

I think you should bring Pipkin inside tonight as he might need to be warmer than that while he's recovering from being under general anaesthetic.

I'm sorry they fought but agree with everyone on here that they could probably be easily introduced again.

This is why i always take all my buns (four of them!!) to the vets even if only one of them is to be treated. I think let your bun recover from the dental and set up a small neutral space to rebond.

This is why i always take all my buns (four of them!!) to the vets even if only one of them is to be treated. I think let your bun recover from the dental and set up a small neutral space to rebond.

Going OT a little bit - sorry! What do you take your four in?

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I have them where they can see each other at the moment and will try rebonding at the weekend when I'm not at work. I will try swapping scents as some people have suggested and a few enclosure swaps too. I really hope that they will rebond - it was really easy the first time round so I'm keeping my fingers crossed all will go ok this time too.

It's really sad to watch them because they obviously aren't as happy on their own and they are not quite sure what to do with themselved - silly buns!

I will def be taking them to the vets as a pair in future, what happened yesterday was just horrible - never want to repeat it

big fight

Having tried to create a trio with my bonded pair and additional male, a terrific fight ensued (neutral ground etc etc) I am now trying to partner the single male.
Living in Scotland I am struggling to find a neutered female and wonder if an un-neutered doe might be okay, I know I could get one spayed but that means waiting weeks for hormones to settle etc, not to mention the £60 cost (I have just paid over £100 for the two males) I cant afford to keep paying for this.
Alternatively my lovely big black English Lop will have to be offered for rehome with a lonely girl

Last edited:
Back