• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding piggies!! Help!!!!!!!!

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Here they are!! More photos but trying to get advice quickly before I have to go to bed!!
DSC00564.jpg

Doris (longhaired), Hazel (ginger)

They are tooth chattering and squeeking at each other and sometimes a bit of a tussle. Breeder (long story - but they have definately been rescued by me!) told me to watch them but let them stay together and sort it out themselves.

Will they be ok to leave overnight?

Other thing - one is looking very distressed and itchy and has dandruffy stuff on her back which she doesnt like me to touch. Could it be mites?

So Q1 - will they kill each other?
Q2 - could she have mites (longhaired one)
Q3 - what can I do for them to help them settle in?

Have to admit when I've introduced piggies before I've had them in cages next to each other first, but I don't know if that's the proper way to do it.

You've changed their names!!!!

What happened to Connie & Pineapple Chunk Flora????

They're lovely, by the way :wave:

Mites - yes, it's a possibility.

Have they got separate hidey holes they can go in to get away from each other and have quiet time?

If they have mites use Beaphar Spot On it's really good :wave: the stress of moving might give them mites

Piggies don't really need bonding like bunnies, they just go together. My boys hump and sometimes squabble, but never seriously fight. The girls just went together straight away even though they were from different places. They sometimes decide to leave one out, but it rotates, so you might find when Eric gets there they take it in turns for some alone time

breeder's advice sounds ok to me :) xx

You need to make sure all hidey holes have 2 exits/entrances at the minute so they can get away from each other.

Not sure about kill each other, but they can do serious damage to each other if they want to. We did have one female piggie in care that wouldn't bond with another female at all, she would have killed all the female piggies we tried her with, if we hadn't of separated them.

I have always introduced piggies outside in a 6ft x 4ft run, with a handful of veggies spread around to keep them distracted.

Mites is a possibility, I would treat both of them if it is mites. Make sure you get the spot on as opposed to the injections, xeno 450 is the best.

To help them settle give them lots of things to hide in upturned cardboard boxes with holes in etc and be patient they are often alot more nervous than bunnies.

I'm by no means an expert, but I wouldn't leave them overnight together if they've had little squabbles.
Also yes, it is possible for her to have mites, best to get her a check up and see. It's easily treated, as mentioned.
Good luck and well done for being their new mummy!

Have to admit when I've introduced piggies before I've had them in cages next to each other first, but I don't know if that's the proper way to do it.

You've changed their names!!!!

What happened to Connie & Pineapple Chunk Flora????

They're lovely, by the way :wave:

When I met them, their names just fitted!! Worried that I'm doing the wrong thing! How did you do it - Breeders place was awful. Just awful - dirty, cramped - so much for him loving his piggies - he says he does, he plays classical music in a tiny shed to them but oh my goodness. These two are rescued more than Eric from the santuary!!

Mites is a possibility, I would treat both of them if it is mites. Make sure you get the spot on as opposed to the injections, xeno 450 is the best.

Why not the injections? I went to the vets 3 times for the injections, paid £50 each time (for 4 piggies), one dose of the spot on cleared it up (did I just answer my own question? :oops:)

Bensonlola - chillax! Have they been living together at the breeders? P.S. your piggies is ginger not gold :D like my Millie. I'll find you a pic in a second if I do it now you and Blackberry will have 27 posts by the time I'm done :lol:

DON'T PANIC!!!

If you're worried separate them for the night. I had to take 2 pairs of piggies away overnight, and the were perfectly happy in stacker boxes (no lids) with their hay, food, water etc. How about doing something like that?

Bensonlola - chillax! Have they been living together at the breeders? P.S. your piggies is ginger not gold :D like my Millie. I'll find you a pic in a second if I do it now you and Blackberry will have 27 posts by the time I'm done :lol:

:lol::lol:

Cant chill!!!! This is stressful!! Also I don't think the fleece I've got is very absorbant!!! Doris has a wet bum!!

lol, think you did. The spot on works as well as the injections and is less stressful for the pigs.

I always use the xeno 450 as although it isn't the cheapest it works really well. If they have mites you need to do 3 treatments or else they come back, one after the first 2 weeks and then one 4 weeks later.

It is also alot cheaper as you can go to the vets get confirmation it is mites and them buy all 3 treatments in one go, saves on the consultation fees. Or if your sure it's mites you can buy it online it's about £18 for 6 treatment.

No they were in separate, tiny, dirty cages. Could have cried when I saw them. Glad I took 2 off him!:cry: Ginger one was in with her mum and long haired on her own. Green stuff growing on water bottles, dark, smelly. Awful! and he sounded like such a nice man - very particular about who got his piggies. Gave them to me - wouldn't take any money.

No they were in separate, tiny, dirty cages. Could have cried when I saw them. Glad I took 2 off him!:cry: Ginger one was in with her mum and long haired on her own. Green stuff growing on water bottles, dark, smelly. Awful! and he sounded like such a nice man - very particular about who got his piggies. Gave them to me - wouldn't take any money.

Sounds like he's got more than he can handle :roll:

Your girls will settle, but coming from somewhere like that they're gonna be nervy for a bit.

lol, think you did. The spot on works as well as the injections and is less stressful for the pigs.

I always use the xeno 450 as although it isn't the cheapest it works really well. If they have mites you need to do 3 treatments or else they come back, one after the first 2 weeks and then one 4 weeks later.

It is also alot cheaper as you can go to the vets get confirmation it is mites and them buy all 3 treatments in one go, saves on the consultation fees. Or if your sure it's mites you can buy it online it's about £18 for 6 treatment.

I see, the vets i used is very money grabbing!

Aww poor girlies :( glad you have them now, they probably will have mites then.

:lol::lol:

Cant chill!!!! This is stressful!! Also I don't think the fleece I've got is very absorbant!!! Doris has a wet bum!!

You need a thick layer of newspaper or towels under the fleece. I take it Doris is the sheltie, my shelties tend to sit in their wee, so I have to keeep them trimmed at the back.

Back