• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting!!

I'm getting frustrated with Barney at the moment. Since his Op he has been nipping. First it was a little nip followed by a lick but now its a full on nip with no licks. Im sure he dont mean to hurt me but once he starts he doesnt want to stop.

He had his op 4 weeks ago. Take for instance tonight,, he doesnt go by my partner just comes to me. It might have something to do with him seeing me hold tess (they havent bonded yet as he just continuously wants to hump her) but his nips are getting painful. i sit on the sofa and he still comes over and nips my leg.

any ideas on why? or how to stop him?

I would suggest that maybe getting annoyed won't help because he may be picking up on that.

Nipping is part of the bunny language so it will arise with some bunnies more than others. What do you do when he nips? Does he nip anywhere in particular? Is it after holding Tess?

If you can look at his behaviour and the language and what he is saying, then you stand a better chance of beating the behaviour because you will be able to respond accordingly.

he tends to nip starting at my hands going up my arms. if he cant reach my arms he nips my legs. i dont show him im annoyed i try to give out a little Ouch to try to tell him hes hurting me.

I havent held tess for a few hours but he still come up to me and does it. (he has now learnt he can jump on sofa)

Sooo cute :)

One of my girls keeps nipping, but only other rabbits, and as a result, has had 3 failed bonding attempts :( She was spayed in January, so I doubt it's hormonal. I don't have any idea why she is behaving the way she is.

My other girl was a little nippy after her spay for a few weeks, but did calm down, so perhaps in your case, it could still be some hormones flying around.

Hmmm it cud be many things.

He may want me to groom him but we brought tess for that, if he stopped humping her he might learn to love her lol. I give him a good brush which he loves.

I just wondered how i cud stop it.

Tess has her mixie jab on friday so im going to see if the vet can give me some advice

What's the situation with the bonding?

If it is attention based then ignoring it and not doing whatever he wants you to when he nips, should teach him that when he does it, he doesn't get what he wants.

Maybe also have a read of http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ There are ways to there to show the buns if you are not pleased (such as turning your back). Sometimes talking to them in their language can work (and also be hilarious which may also relieve some of your stress).

Bonding is - They have been together all night. they get on with each other apart from when he starts grunting and then trying to hump. she dont let him go near her - if she sees him going towards her shes off like a shot. but theres absolutely no agression there.

i'll have a look at that website.. see if i can sort him out

Humping is pretty normal is bondings. You should have seen my pair! Oggie completely went at it like anything for poor Delly and she was running away and stuff. After one hour roughly it calmed down but it carried on for about two nights - everytime Delila moved, Ogs would go to hump her.

He can probably still smell the girl rabbit on you and in the house - which maybe why he is getting frustrated.

I would try with the bonding personally :)

thanks mopsy that does actually make sense. our trouble is we got a girl called betty last monday (bank hol) and she died on the wednesday. she wasnt eating or owt. so rachel is a bit over protective of tess and whenever he goes by her she moves him on. they were together all night last night (until we went bed) and hed try to hump then move on and repeat.. lol. persitence will prevail i reckon

Back