• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H adoption advice

bubz_79

Warren Scout
I was in P@H today (emergancy 'wild' treat purchase) and fell in love :love: with a bun they had up for adoption. He was 12 wks old and bought in with his brother due to fighting. He had a tear in his ear but was very clean and well healed, I had a really good check of it. I asked if they could hold him for an hr as i was going to mums and would pick him up on my return. They said they don't hold animals even though I offered to pay for him but it was unlikely that he would go in next hr and half. So I went to mums came went back and he had GONE :( my boys and I were so upset. The the man siad they did have his brother out the back though and would I like to see him. Well of course i said yes and he is just as cute but......... he has a tear on his nose from the fight. They said he wasn't fit enough to leave the store yet and would need a couple of days more. I asked what they were doing for him and they said he has anti bacterial powder and that no vet had looked at it al all. The wound looked very clean and he was alert too. What i would like to know does anyone know of any possible long term problem this tear may cause?

I have truely fallen in love with him and want him out of P@H with me for some TLC but I don't think I could afford long term problems iyswim. They only ask for a donation in there of a min of £5 which is all they will get as i can spend extra on him.

ANY ADVICE PLEASE????

A similar thing happened to me at P@h adoption centre a week or two ago :( I saw a bun on rabbit rehome but her owner had sent her to P@H and she was gone when I got there.

I would tell them he needs to see a vet, in case the wound is infected, it could develop into an abcess as fight wounds tend to go quite deep. If they are using the Johnsons cream they sell it is useless.

To be fair if you get him straight to a vet and he needs treatment, P@H are good at refunding the cost if you inform them first, they did when I got a hamster from there who had been fighting and it developed into an abscess

You would need to tell them before you went to the vet, and bring them the bill.

They are breaking all kinds of laws by not getting him treated, make them aware of this and they should get it sorted xx

Nicole

I did say he should have been seen by a vet and they said 'no not for fight wounds like this they are so common' !!!!!!! They also had that they were not to go with other rabbits as they fight!!! Well at 12 weeks old and full of hormones no wonder they fought.

The man at P@H is calling me on Friday first thing to tell me if he is healthy enough to leave. I am at the vets 2moro as Razzle is being neutered so I will chat to them too. I also did ask if the wound needed further treatment would they assist in the cost. They said well the adoption paperwork says that its your responsibility but if its imediate then i would think so. Hence i will only give them £5 for him.

It is illegal to sell an unwell animal, and to not get an animal the appropriate vet treatment. Start talking about abscesses and scare him a bit ;) its not on like even if you don't take the rabbit, poor little guy.

Castiel was from P@h adoption and I had to pay £15! They are a bit hit and miss with advice in there, I take everything they say with a pinch of salt, they are getting the idea with advising to neuter and vaccinate. If it develops into an abcess there's no way they can't give you the vet bills, like I say you have 7 days :wave:

Nicola tbh I am worried if i mention too much they won't let me take him as they will say that he is still unwell but then let someone else have him. So I would prefer to wiat till Fri for the call to say that he is ok enough. I inted to collect him and try and take him straight to the vets if I can for a check up. What would you do though?

Ok, do you think you could afford to pay for the treatment of an abscess if they won't? I don't think there would be long term problems. If ypu can, I would go for it, it sounds like that little bun has already worked his way into your heart x

Thanks Nicola. Yes I was so upset when we went back and the first one was gone both my boys cried and i could have joined them. I so wish i had just taken him then and all would have been great. But then his brother would have been left there this way at least they will both not be in P@H anymore.

How much roughly is treatment for an absess?

I'm not sure to be honest, ask in the health section someone might know :) I know :( it's awful, I sobbed in P@H too, I was so in love with the bunny and when I rang the day before guy promised me no one else would take her, he said they couldn't even sell the baby rabbits :(

Back