• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doodee and the DIY cardboard warren

Doodee has been making her presence felt [yet again]

Boy am I getting the picture loud and clear as to why this bun was in the Buns no one wants list.

She has spent the past two days grouchy as heck, sulking, turning her back on me, stamping at even the mention of her name.
She has chewed to death two more rugs, a towel, another bunny bed, chucked her toys out of her cage, chucked them in and been a real moody moo. If she had not been spayed I would be putting it down to hormones form hell.
She is the first rabbit I have had who can swear. She grumbles, mutters and is scared of everything.

So after another run of her deciding to be a bit of a ****** who does not like anything I found the rabbbit cubes idea in the housing section.

Perhaps Doodee hates being seen and in the open. Had a think then headed off to the local DIY shop to buy boxes. No boxes for sale but they let me take a selection of boxes they had unpacked. I have three cardboard tunnels that contained lights, a huge box that is very strong that is now filled with hay and has a cardboard tunnel attached. I cut peak a boo holes for her to watch us from and fitted the two commercial bunny tunnels to make a lounge sized warren.

Lined the whole thing with very think slices of parsnip and for the first time in two days the lounge is quite. She is rummaging through the hay and peers out of the little holes. She even accepted a nice crunchy spring cabbage leaf as a peace offering through the round window.

I have left her in peace and caught a glimpse of her through the door jam poking her head out of the hay box a very quick ear waggle which is as close to a binkie as I have seen her do in the weeks I have had her.

My son thinks she may be happier as an outdoor bun the same as Teasel lives 16-18 hours a day. Still thinking if that is the case or if she would do better if she could find a laid back human happy buck who mentor better bunny behaviour for her....or if like Teasel she has had such a rough start the closest to happy she will get is being allowed to live in peace with good food, enough space and someone who will forgive the uber-destructive behaviour.

[For anyone reading this please bear in mind Doodee was classed as a special rehoming case. She was classed as having unpredicatable and aggresive behaviour stemming from how she was treated as a young rabbit. Most rabbits needing homes are not so destructive and grumpy]

Aw, sounds like you're working really hard to help her. The boxes sound great, especially lining them with pieces of parsnip :lol:

Perhaps if she feels safer in there she will relax more. You're being so patient - well done :wave:

That sounds fab! can we have pics please? very interested to see her new warren. Well done for having so much patience with her, I'm sure you'll get your reward :D

*laughs*

Firstly I need to build her a new one from the other bits of cardboard I kept. She has all but chewed the first one to death.

I came down this morning to find the rear end half of a sleeping bunny poking out of the extension she had made to her burrow but she was asleep, on her side happily whiffling away. The lounge is covered with confetti and straw and hay as she would NOT go in her cage last night. I decided not to have that fight and leave the food in the cage.

When she woke she was more relaxed than I have seen her. She has taken thin slices of parsnips and a couple of SS pellets from my hands and sniffed my hand.

I think this may be the first good nights sleep she has had in a long while and all because someone posted in housing about a cardboard cube system.

Me thinketh this bunny may well be scared of bars and metal in cages so I am rethinking what to house her in the garden in and if a small wooden kennel would not feel safer indoors for her.

I also think I need to change her name. She stamps and growls about Doodee but Parsnip seems to work as that is associated with nice things for her.

Once that camera has recharged I will see if I can catch both buns on camera and work out how to upload images.

:lol:

You really sound as if you are making some headway with her.
Yay for free cardboard boxes.:)
One of my buns is named after her favourite food, so maybe a name change will be therapeutic for you both.

Back