• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Auxiliary Incisors (Peg Teeth)

Amy.

Alpha Buck
Leo had his incisors taken out over 6 monthes ago. I've noticed these 2 little teethy things in his mouth recently when he yawns, and with a little research I learn they are "peg teeth".

How long do these grow? Presumably there isn't any on his lower jaw, so if they grow long then they won't grind down and we'll be back to burring again..
Are they going to be anything to worry about?
I was hoping to adopt a few more bunnies, but if Leo is going to need any burring on these then my parents will definitely say no to more rabbits if Leo is going to be going back to regular trips to the vets due to costs.

It's quite difficult finding things about this on the web, so if anyone has any information/ experience that'd be great :)

Leo had his incisors taken out over 6 monthes ago. I've noticed these 2 little teethy things in his mouth recently when he yawns, and with a little research I learn they are "peg teeth".

How long do these grow? Presumably there isn't any on his lower jaw, so if they grow long then they won't grind down and we'll be back to burring again..
Are they going to be anything to worry about?
I was hoping to adopt a few more bunnies, but if Leo is going to need any burring on these then my parents will definitely say no to more rabbits if Leo is going to be going back to regular trips to the vets due to costs.

It's quite difficult finding things about this on the web, so if anyone has any information/ experience that'd be great :)

Yep - those are his peggies! They normally are hidden behind the upper incisors and you'd never see them. My incisorless bunnys pegs keep growing too but the vet just clips these off now and then when they get too long. Not sure if thats ok actually - i know you shouldn't clip normal incisors, but these are a bit softer I think?

Hope someone can correct me!

I have had the peg teeth grow back after removal with a couple of bunnies. They have had a second op to remove them again and I have never had any further problems :)

My Herbie had his incisors and peg teeth out when he came to me from BARC. One of his lower incisors and his peg teeth all grew back in!

He was getting these burred at the vets, but they were growing so quickly that he has just been in for another op to get them all out again. Hopefully this time they wont grow back in.

Sometimes they just snap off themselves on food etc, but if they grow long i would take them to the vets and get them burred x

I think it is quite hard to kill the stem cells at the base of the tooth root. During extraction I think the procedure is to push down on these cells to try and kill them to prevent regrowth, well that's what I read anyway. I would also suggest only burring and not clipping.

I had a bun that ripped out his own front teeth on the bars of his run (silly billy) and he managed to take one of the peg teeth out too.
It grew back, as did one of his 'proper' teeth, but I found the peg tooth grew more slowly.

Eating piles of hay wears them down and reduces the need for burring.

Back