• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oooh the turf for the run has arrived ....!!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Yay!!

Once its down, can I just let the buns 'go for it' or do they have to be eased in gently?

Its going down in their run that they have permanent access to .... at the moment its paved but we thought that half turfing it would be a good idea, rather than fully turfing it (all the rest of the garden is paved).

So, do we need to limit their access to the grass for a while?

Maybe we could just take up one of the paving stones to start with and plant 1 square of grass, see how they get on!?!

Thanks, Jo x

If they haven't been on grass before it may be best to start them gradually.

When I had turf for my run it was really hot when unrolled - make sure you hose it down well and that it's properly cold before letting them eat it. :)

Brilliant, thanks, will do!

Think I'll just take one paving stone up for now then and see how they get on!

Jo x

Whenever I've laid new turf I've kept the buns off it until it's been mowed a few times, just in case it has any fertiliser etc on it.
It needs several weeks to put proper roots into the soil too, else it'll die pretty quick with the buns munching it!

Ahhh right, ok thanks ..... hhhmm we're planning on extending their current run so I may lay the turf outside it so that when its been down a few weeks and we extend - it'll be included.

Then I'll fence it off and introduce them to it slowly.

Ahhh right, ok thanks ..... hhhmm we're planning on extending their current run so I may lay the turf outside it so that when its been down a few weeks and we extend - it'll be included.

Then I'll fence it off and introduce them to it slowly.

That sounds like a good plan.

We had spare turf, so we unrolled it so that it wouldn't burn inside until we laid it, and kept it well watered so that it kept growing - it was just on the patio, the dog liked lying on it :lol:

Back