• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay storage..

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone use duvet covers to put hay in and are they ok for the job or is the plastic wrap the hay comes in better???

I use duvet covers to trasnport the hay and currently have two bales sitting in my garage in duvet covers. The plastic is not ideal unless its only in there for a short amount of time. I transfer the bales I'm using into bin bags but they are only there for a short amount of time. They need to be somewhere cool and out of the sun :)

:wave: Please don't keep your hay in plastic as the hay will heat up causing condensation and this will make your hay mouldy in a very short time. Best to keep the hay in a quilt cover if you can or in a shed. :D

I keep mine in the garage in a duvet cover - best thing I've ever found to collect and store hay in as it keeps it all in one place, and is well ventilated.

excellent ill get me one on saturday then, cant use my current ones they myseriously contain holes :? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

We also use an old duvet cover for transporting hay from the farm - watch out for free mice though as they nibble through it!

I'd suggest looking in a charity shop for a cheap one - we got a random single duvet cover for 99p!

ooh this is a really good idea i never thought of putting it in a duvet cover :)

:shock: neither did I! I just keep it in the plastic bag inside a cardboard box that The Hay Experts send it out in :oops: Gonna raid the airing cupboard when I get home though for unused duvets :lol:

I use the massive checked laundry bags, they have zips and only £1.50...I can get half a bale of hay in each and kept in the shed :D

my mom had one (as i knew she would lol).. it was a bit of a wrestle to get the hay from the plastic bag into the cover without hay exploding everywhere :lol::lol::lol:

Me: mom have you got a spare single duvet cover?

her:what for, the rabbits?

Me: :oops::oops: yup to put the hay in :lol::lol::lol::lol:

she knows me so well

Back