• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treatment for Pancreatitis?

Jenefina

Mama Doe
Other than daily zantac and a shot of metacam when it gets bad does anyone know of any other treatment? I know that there's nothing that treats the pancreas itself but wondered if anyone had this problem with a bun before and found new meds that helped?

Pye had another pain episode this morning but seems to be fine no within half hour of the metacam so once I'm happy that he's back to full health as such we are taking him back for full blood tests which tests for levels of something in his blood to confirm his pancreas is acting up and also gonna do an EC test just in case (altho I discussed with the vet this morning the problem of false positives I still think its worth testing for as much as possible since its gonna involve sedatives)

Any info would be great x

There is nothing on the internet or in the books I have about it, not in rabbits anyway :( did you go to Neil or to Judith at Vets4Pets?

Without knowing the problem, if its an 'itis' shouldn't antibiotics be used?

But that's based on nothing related to the actual situation. I'm glad he is comfortable after his pain meds and hope the rest of the day is ok for you.

And happy birthday :)

Awww, poor Pye! I'm sorry, but my only experience with Pancreatitis is with one of my cats and part of his treatment involved witholding food, so wouldn't have thought I'm much help here!
Sending him lots of nose rubs!!! x

Sorry I should have explained the situation better.

When Pye went for his op in March with FHB to remove what turned out to be a small calicified lump from his ileus she saw that his pancreas was slightly swollen. So she said that hopefully the removal of this little lump would cure his bouts of stomach problems which we'd always assumed until then was due to gas. She did also say that if there were further problems we could do blood tests (can't remember the names of the stuff they are testing for but it would confirm if his pancreas was over producing). Anyways he was on twice daily meds for a two month trial and in the day of the two month mark I found him in pain and distended, rushed him to Neil who gave him a shot of metacam and within ten minutes of getting home he was fine, tearing round and eating everything in site (that was 21st May). We decided to go down to once a day zantac and see how he did, hoping the episode was a blip. Then this morning happened. He wasn't twisted in pain but he refused his food and was sat shaking which is a Pye signal for pain, rushed to the vets for metacam and within half hour of getting home he was back on his feet again and stuffing his face.

So now me and Neil (vet) have decided that blood tests should be done just to confirm exactly what's happening and since he's gonna have to be sedated in order to get the amount he needs I threw an EC test into the ring and told Neil I would pay for anything else he thought was relevant. Just need to find a day I get book off work when he's feeling better and we'll start from there.

My main worry is that he's already on Zantac and I don't know what else he could be given. I know its a rare condition in rabbits, FHB said she's only seen it once before so I just wondered if anyone had ever had it seen it or heard anything about it?

Thanks for the birthday wishes, just had a big wedge of banoffee pie so feeling happier now!

My cat had this.....I have to watch his diet cos it flares up every now and again.(Pedigree Siamese,prone to tummy troubles)
Poor Bun.And poor you.What a worry.
Wishing you both all the very best.xxxx

i thought the op had cured him :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Me too hun, when I found him on the morning of his two month deadline I just broke down in tears :cry: I so wanted him to have gone through that op for a cure but alas he's heading back to what he was like before, this latest episode is just less than three weeks from the first, if it goes back to how he was I'm gonna be in pieces :cry:

Sorry I feel shocking cos so many more of you are going through way more serious things with your buns, but today for one day only its my party and darn it I've already cried once :cry: I'll sush up about it tomo...

Me too hun, when I found him on the morning of his two month deadline I just broke down in tears :cry: I so wanted him to have gone through that op for a cure but alas he's heading back to what he was like before, this latest episode is just less than three weeks from the first, if it goes back to how he was I'm gonna be in pieces :cry:

Sorry I feel shocking cos so many more of you are going through way more serious things with your buns, but today for one day only its my party and darn it I've already cried once :cry: I'll sush up about it tomo...

please dont shush up, i really had no idea he was suffering again, i had a happy little dream he was still doing so well :cry::cry:

im really sorry hun and i hope the tests give you answers xxx

You should talk about your buns as much as you want to and need to!! It isn't shocking at all. Poor little Pyeman, I was nearly in tears for you when I read it :(

I don't know what to suggest... are you going to have to go back to FHB?

No bunny or situation is more important than any other, so never feel like you can't or shouldn't post. Its draining having an ill bunny and needing support with it is ok.

I'm sorry things are so rough for you both.

Totally agree with Sky-O.....Post as much as you like whenever you like.You have our support.
My cat was so poorly with it...and I didnt have a forum like this.((Hugs))

Yeah, you said it better than me Sky-O!

(((hugs))) for you and nose rubs for Pye (and Pudding so she doesn't feel left out).

Thanks guys, just feeling super sorry for both of us today, am meant to be drowning my sorrows in muchos beer at getting older but instead I'm sat felling sick cos I've just comfort at a huge wadge of sickly pie!

Its not got too bad in that once he has his shot of metacam its like a switch goes off inside him and he's back to normal again. I don't fully understand the disease only that he gets an excess of an enzyme from the pancreas which begins to attack his guts when there's no food there which obviously causes pain. I also understand that the zantac is treating a consequence not the problem so its not gonna help him all the time. But that does mean that I'm kinda back to square one not wanting to leave him in case it starts and I don't get to him in time :( I feel like today I've lost all the progress he made and I don't know what options he has since nothing treats it that I know of. I know diet helps, well is pretty much the only thing I know of and he's been on a strict diet since his op, much to Pud's disgust as she has to have the same! I just don;t know what else to add or take away or if this is how its gonna be from now on.

My OH is poss going back to work in Noway again and I had thought ooh maybe a nice long weekend over there since I haven;t had a holiday in years cos of worrying about the buns but now I just can't imagine leaving them again.

Wow sorry, think I'll go get there beer and get my oh to play the violin while I drink it. Pye is fine now, stuffed his face, had a snooze, stuffed his face more and is now looking for trouble as usual. I need to learn to hold on to that fact and appreciate it more.

DSCI0570.jpg

Castiel says: cheer up Auntie Jenny, and get well soon Pye.

I can babysit once we're settled and moved :wave: you know Cass would keep them in line!

It's so awful to feel like you're taking a step backwards :(

It's a good idea that you're getting him tested for E.C., I would get him tested for every thing under the sun. The poor little monkey.

ahh thank you Castiel you little angel, I'm gonna have an early birthday beer and sod it all now! :D

:thumb: will be thinking of you. I know it's a long shot but I'll ask at B's if they've ever treated a rabbit with pancreatitis when I'm there today xxx

Back