• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mint is being castrated tomorrow morning....

Charys

Mama Doe
....anything to bear in mind after the event, any tips for care and what to look for etc. ? Is he allowed to lick the area ? Would be grateful for any little pieces of advice before the operation so that I am ready for when I pick him up.

I would try and stop him licking it, it's actually worse for the wound rather than better (I can't remember why, sorry :wave:). And if he starts licking it's just a few more steps before he rips it open.....

My boys, fortunately, didn't touch their wounds, but I was told to watch out for it. Make sure he has some nice soft bedding, and that he's had pain relief. Hope all goes well. :)

I'd have some nice soft towels/vet bed etc. (Try keeping hay out the way in a rack, or just the litter tray, so it doesn't irritate the area.)

I've never had a bun having a go at their stitches, but keep an eye out for it.

ETA: :oops: Oh, and good luck to Mint! :love::love::love::love:

Razzle is also being 'done' 2moro so I too will watch this thread. I have the indoor cage to prepare for him later. I was thinking of megasorb as a base will this be soft enough?

Razzle is also being 'done' 2moro so I too will watch this thread. I have the indoor cage to prepare for him later. I was thinking of megasorb as a base will this be soft enough?

I wouldn't put anything "bitty" on the base, as it can irritate the wound. A nice, clean blanket is far better. :)

Thanks for that will pop out and buy him a nice soft blanket. Will it be ok to put the megazorb under the blanket though?

Thanks for that will pop out and buy him a nice soft blanket. Will it be ok to put the megazorb under the blanket though?

As long as he doesn't scratch the blanket up :lol:

I used Carefresh bedding for my boys after their ops, which is really soft.

Hope the op goes well :wave:

Good luck Mint, you already have very good advise there so haven't got much to add.. Oh apart from make sure that he is kepst warm enough, as I think that regulating their temp after GA can be an issue :)

Great ! Thanks everyone. Plenty of good advice there. I could try some vet bed in his hutch area, but he is a monkey and generally scrapes everything out (towels, hay etc.etc.) He is a playhouse bunny, so think I'll give the floor a good clean tomorrow and not throw the usual hay around the floor.

Afterwards needs to be indoors confined in a smaller space so can't jump about too much. Check for swelling and bleeding. Put newspaper in the tray and hay separately. Good luck I hope it goes OK.

Is there any way you can bring him in for one night after the op? He'll need to be kept in a reasonably small space so he cant jump around too much, and you'll need to keep a very close eye on him to make sure he's eating, not pulling at the stiches etc. Also as has already been said he'll need to be kept VERY warm, a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel might be a good idea so that he can lean against it/lie on it if he wants to.

If he pulls at the stitches or worries the wound too much afterwards you can make an emergency cone out of an old cereal box, until you can get a proper one from the vets. You'll need to measure loosly around his neck with a tape measure and draw one circle that circumferance, and then measure from his neck to just before his nose and draw a larger circle that many inches away from the first one (sorry probs not explaining this very well!!) Then cut out, cut a slit down the side so that you can get it on him and adjust it, and you have a makeshift collar! This is just in an emergency situation though, as they HATE wearing collars.

Im sure he'll be absolutely fine, GOOD LUCK :wave:

Yes I can bring him in for the night, I have space to bring one of the runs inside or I have those bunny fencing run panels which I could set up easily, also I have a snuggle pad for his use. He has is having it done first thing in the morning and then I'll bring him back as soon as I am able after it is done, so can keep an eye on him all day at home.

Actually I'll use the metal run panels as can make the area he has smaller....will get on that right away so it's ready.

ooh glad i saw this thread i was just about to put one up asking the exact same question, bailey is being done today, he should be ready to come home soon actually :)

Hope Bailey is ok after his return home today - minus his 'you know whats'. There's quite a few of us havng neutering done at the same time then ?!

The best thing i ever bought for my two (my girl and boy were neutered last weds) were puppy pads.

They were soft for them to lay on and they could wee on too, i put them over thick fleecy blankets. xxx

Back