• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long should you leave it before going to the vets?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
With a bun off their food? Is just a few hours a bit soon?

My mum has just told me she gave them some pellets at lunch time and Trip didn't eat any :cry: That is unusual isn't it? Do your buns ever leave their pellets when they are ok? I haven't seen him do that before I don't think

Dunno should I make an app for after work or not, not sure if I am over reacting :oops: I can't remember if he ate this morning or not, I was there but I don't remember watching :cry:

Depends on the bun I think. Charlies refused his food a few times, and always been fine. One time I forced him to run about a bit and he perked back up, and every other time its because he's thought he was getting treats and then turned his nose up at his food

With a bun off their food? Is just a few hours a bit soon?

My mum has just told me she gave them some pellets at lunch time and Trip didn't eat any :cry: That is unusual isn't it? Do your buns ever leave their pellets when they are ok? I haven't seen him do that before I don't think

Dunno should I make an app for after work or not, not sure if I am over reacting :oops: I can't remember if he ate this morning or not, I was there but I don't remember watching :cry:

I have buns that have not eaten immediately, especially in the warm weather but have eaten a bit later...really only you know your buns...could she try to tempt him with veg??

Depends on the bun I think. Charlies refused his food a few times, and always been fine. One time I forced him to run about a bit and he perked back up, and every other time its because he's thought he was getting treats and then turned his nose up at his food

Same. Pebble is like this... she likes to scare her mummy :roll: I just get her to run around.. and try really srong smalling herbs. them normally get her eating again. x

Im just freaking out now :oops: :cry:

I don't think he has refused food before, my mum is on her way back home now she is gonna phone me when she gets in to see if he is moving around ok, she said he was moving fine when she put the food in

I have buns that have not eaten immediately, especially in the warm weather but have eaten a bit later...really only you know your buns...could she try to tempt him with veg??

She had to go back to work, she is leaving now though to go back home I will get her to try with some veg and herbs

Thanks guys x

Im just freaking out now :oops: :cry:

I don't think he has refused food before, my mum is on her way back home now she is gonna phone me when she gets in to see if he is moving around ok, she said he was moving fine when she put the food in

We all have our off days and dont like to eat, im sure he will be fine, just try amd tempt him with a few herbs. xxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry to worry you, but I'd make an appointment. Especially since you don't know what hapoened this morning...

If this is unusual for him I would take him to the vets. Even if it is nothing I'm sure you would much rather take him for no reason than not catch it early enough. Plus it might save you a trip to the emergency vet later on. I think it's always better safe than sorry with rabbits xx

Once when I was at uni my mum rang me saying Ruby hadn't eaten any breakfast. Pipkin had had a dental a couple of days before that, and I thought Ruby might have gotten stressed by the vet trip or something. I skipped lectures and drove home (about 2 hours) only to find she was perfectly fine and scoffing cabbage by the time I got there! :roll:

id try his favorites, herbs and fresh bits and if he isnt interested in them pop him along to the vets, some of mine dont eat when its very warm, they leave it til later!

I have to piggie bunnies, BUT in this warm weather, (its my first summer with them), I have noticed they dive in eat a bit, then leave the rest till later.

Could there have been anything that spooked him?

I agree with SJ btw x

Sorry to worry you, but I'd make an appointment. Especially since you don't know what hapoened this morning...

I can't leave work until 5pm, I will just take him straight down there and say its an emergency as soon as I get home if he doesn't seem right

Thanks guys, still waiting for my mum to get home and check :cry: I am so stupid sometimes, I should have paid more attention earlier this will teach me to be more careful in future

Dunno there might have been noises outside, everyone is at work so :(

I can't leave work until 5pm, I will just take him straight down there and say its an emergency as soon as I get home if he doesn't seem right

Thanks guys, still waiting for my mum to get home and check :cry: I am so stupid sometimes, I should have paid more attention earlier this will teach me to be more careful in future

Or it could mean he was absolutely fine this morning..hence you didn't notice anything..I tend to notice when somethign abnormal happens, rather than the normal!!

yeah see Carlo won't eat when he is downstairs he hates it there I think its too noisy, as soon as he gets upstairs he is away stuffing his chops

hope he is fine, was he ok yesterday?

Yeah he was totally fine last night, and he was jumping about this morning

Im just worrying so much because I am not at home to check for myself :(

personally

without drugs i think straight away.

with drugs my vet has told me i have to give the drugs 12 hours to work with Alvin before im allowed to panic :oops::oops:

with holly i would phone the vets for advice, if they was happy for me to give her Alvins metacam id give her 1 1/2 hours which is usually how long it takes to kick in with Alvin, then i would take her to the vets to be checked over if she didnt start eating again. altho knowing me i would take her to the vets without phoning for advice :oops::oops:

If mine don't come for their breakfast or their tea then I try tempting them with one of their favourite things.
If they positively refuse and turn away from it then I get them out in the garden for a run around and to see how they react.

If they're uncomfortable they tend to find somewhere to hide rather than go mooching around, at which point I give them a dose of Infacol and a good tummy rum, and put them back out in the garden.

I'll give them half an hour orso and check again. If they're still the same I'll re-dose on the Infacol,or if they are looking uncomfy by pushing their bellies to the floor, or stretching etc, then I'm off to the vets!

Back