• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sapphire is really poorly =[...UPDATE P.2

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
2 weeks ago I posted about Sapphire having snuffles and experiencing weight loss. Well, i've taken her back to the vets today and although the snuffles are no more she has lost more weight... 2 weeks ago she was 1.6kg and now she is 1.4kg =[ The vet has sent off bloods today and I will hear back on Friday what happens next =[

The initial blood test revealed she isn't diabetic, but the vet thinks that she may be experiencing organ failure or worse still she may have cancer :cry:

Please keep these vibes coming, I have a feeling she needs them.

xx

Last edited:
Cant think what to say but wanted to reply am sending positive vibes your way good luck for friday hope its not bad news huge hugs xxxxx

Thank you for all the vibes, I really appreciate it.

I just don't understand the weight loss malarky... she is eating fine!! And the other bunnies are all healthy weights, I have watched Jamie and Sapphire and they eat equal amounts =[

I'm just trying to remain optimistic until Friday, I so hope she is going to be okay. I don't want to put her through any unnecessary suffering but I can't give up on her whilst she is still being her usual greedy and happy self.

xx

I sincerely hope its nothing sinister.
Just a thought.Is she newly bonded??? Do they have separate bowls??
My Lily was bonded in March.In April Lily was suffering from weight loss...yet still eating.It turned out shes a slow eater and the other bunny (her brother) was scoffing all the food!! She was getting some....but not much by all accounts.
Fingers crossed.xxxxx

I sincerely hope its nothing sinister.
Just a thought.Is she newly bonded??? Do they have separate bowls??
My Lily was bonded in March.In April Lily was suffering from weight loss...yet still eating.It turned out shes a slow eater and the other bunny (her brother) was scoffing all the food!! She was getting some....but not much by all accounts.
Fingers crossed.xxxxx

Hiya Yvette,

No Sapphire has been bonded with Jamie for over 2 years now... I would definitely say they eat the same amount of food, they both are greedy and so both can't seem to eat it quick enough.

I'm tempted to put Sapphire on Science Select, as they are all on Allen and Page. Best to see what the vet says first.

Thanks again for the vibes everyone, I really appreciate them.

xxx

Well I have received the results back from Sapphire's blood tests... and all in all the vet seems positive.

Her bloods don't indicate organ failure, she is slightly anaemic however and her white blood cells indicate that she is currently fighting off an infection (snuffles).

Sapphire is now booked in to go under GA on Tuesday of next week to have X rays. I SO hope she keeps her strength up to go through this procedure.

Please keep the vibes coming.

xx

I personally wouldn't put her through a ga while she is fighting an infection..unless absolutely neccessary
As you have suggested I'd try changing them to a different pellet like SS mature..as A & P is fine for young healthy buns but can make older or compromised ones lose weight and condition
is she on anti biotics for the snuffles? if so make sure you add probiotic to their water
Change her pellet first..and see if her weight goes back on..if she loses more weight or gets worse in other ways then go ahead with the ga
to add I'm not a vet and if your vet thinks a ga is a must then obviously do it..just my personal opinion
Sending vibes for her xx

Back