• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Tame My Rabbit

rabbit mad

Warren Scout
Okay guys, here is the situation.

I have a lovely little lop who we believe is between 1 and 2 years old. He was bonded with Ruby who was such a laid back bunny and wasnt bothered by him the slightest, (ruby died a fortnight ago).
Barnaby has always been a struggle to get to show affection to me and my hubby, but would eventually come to us.

Since Ruby died, he has been a nightmare, when the other buns are in the garden he comes to the front of his run and will let me scratch his nose through the bars, but that is it, he runs away like the devil is chasing him, even if I am just lifting up the run lid to check his food, he will play with the long handled broom, but if it gets to close to me he stomps and legs it again.:roll:

I would like to bond him again to another female, but he really needs to calm down before we do this, he has shown aggression to the other buns, so I would not even think twice about putting another rabbit in their with him at the moment, (think bad of me as much as you like but I am NOT risking hurting another rabbit)

So what I am asking is, has anyone got any ideas how I can tame him, I was thinking of maybe sitting in his run with him, not necessarily touching him to start of with, and slowly developing our relationship from their, but would this stress him to much.....

When I first got him he was a bit of a scatter brain:oops:, but he really calmed down and would love a cuddle, (okay for the whole 2 minutes but still) it was progress, and he would play around my legs whilst I was cleaning them out/feeding them etc :)

Any way any advice would be appreciated, but please be kind, I am still trying to get over the loss of Ruby.

Thanks
Kelly xxx:wave:

Okay guys, here is the situation.

I have a lovely little lop who we believe is between 1 and 2 years old. He was bonded with Ruby who was such a laid back bunny and wasnt bothered by him the slightest, (ruby died a fortnight ago).
Barnaby has always been a struggle to get to show affection to me and my hubby, but would eventually come to us.

Since Ruby died, he has been a nightmare, when the other buns are in the garden he comes to the front of his run and will let me scratch his nose through the bars, but that is it, he runs away like the devil is chasing him, even if I am just lifting up the run lid to check his food, he will play with the long handled broom, but if it gets to close to me he stomps and legs it again.:roll:

I would like to bond him again to another female, but he really needs to calm down before we do this, he has shown aggression to the other buns, so I would not even think twice about putting another rabbit in their with him at the moment, (think bad of me as much as you like but I am NOT risking hurting another rabbit)

So what I am asking is, has anyone got any ideas how I can tame him, I was thinking of maybe sitting in his run with him, not necessarily touching him to start of with, and slowly developing our relationship from their, but would this stress him to much.....

When I first got him he was a bit of a scatter brain:oops:, but he really calmed down and would love a cuddle, (okay for the whole 2 minutes but still) it was progress, and he would play around my legs whilst I was cleaning them out/feeding them etc :)

Any way any advice would be appreciated, but please be kind, I am still trying to get over the loss of Ruby.

Thanks
Kelly xxx:wave:

He is too.
Just give him time and patience.....sitting with him in the run is a good idea, maybe just take a book with you and let him come to you on his own terms.
It might take a while, but he will hopefully come to want to be fussed by you again.
Good luck :wave:

I take it hes neutered....Think hes a little mixed up and Rubys death hasnt helped.
I think time will help...lots of it....
Do all the things you suggested....I think its gonna be worth it.
Perhaps check him out at the vets too.There may be another reason for his aggression..pain or something perhaps???:wave:

With the whole aggression to other rabbits, perhaps he is just grieving and doesn't want another wifeybun at the moment. If its the rabbits going right up the bars of his cage/hutch he might just be feeling territorial (sp?). Oggie went at Delly through the bars of his cage several time - just because its his territory and he didnt like her anywhere near it.

With the taming side, I think the best thing to do is work with rabbits. My female rabbit was always friendly, and from a baby I put her on my bed and so she is one of the most friendly and un-concerned rabbits ever :lol:. However, with Oggie, I let him have his space. He was very very shy - not unfriendly but would walk off from me and wouldn't want to be near me.

I started off by feeding him on my lap. He had to be on my lap if he wanted the food and he quickly picked this up. He started jumping on and then eating the pellet then jumping off. I just let him do his own thing and stayed longer and longer on my lap (now I have to nudge him off my lap if I want to get up :lol:) then I started the stroking. Again he started jumping off if he decided he had enough but he had to come back on my lap for food (the food majorly outwayed his fear :lol:). I just continued this way and can now randomly stroke him and he will lap it up and will always come and help me clean out. Where ever I am - he is right there behind my feet.

Thanks guys.

I didn't want to just plonk myself in his run to stress him even more then he is.

I had a feeling he was missing Ruby, but wanted to let you know my situation encase anything else jumped out at you lot (you all seem so much more experienced then me )

He has been to the vets, and he got a clean bill off health.

:wave:

Thanks guys.

I didn't want to just plonk myself in his run to stress him even more then he is.

I had a feeling he was missing Ruby, but wanted to let you know my situation encase anything else jumped out at you lot (you all seem so much more experienced then me )

He has been to the vets, and he got a clean bill off health.

:wave:

Thats a load off your mind at least.
Poor mixed up bun.xxxx

I feel awful not putting him in with another bun, but I need him to stop the aggression or at least calm down a bit before I bond him again with another, I couldnt live with myself if I put another rabbit in with him and he hurt her.

Obviously I would go through the proper bonding thing but it's the worry of the aggression he has.

xx

Back