• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home "accessory kit" with lousy hutch

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I was in pets at home last night and saw this offer :evil: (£55 for titchy hutch, nuggets, bowl, woodshavings, bottle & hay) They've got a double decker version also available for £100.

Considering they are supposed to recommend selling rabbits in pairs, then how on earth is that hutch which at 122 x 61 x 61 cms - if my maths are right - is only about 4 foot long suitable??

Worse still one of the customer reviews on their website actually says they would recommend this to anyone who has rabbits and would like a decent and spacious hutch!!! :censored:

They're not chucking in a free rabbit too which is something i suppose :roll:

I got this hutch when I first got Harvey :( to be fair the girl who served me told me it would be too small when he grew up, but I asked would it be ok if I attached a run to it, and would one foot really make a difference (she wanted me to get a 5ft one), and she said it would be fine. :shock: I would have been a terrible owner if I hadn't found RU!

At the time they advised me to get a single bun but now they have signs up advising you to keep rabbits in pairs.

I soon realised when I actually saw him in it though that it was much too small! Don't know if other people will learn the same but we can live in hope :(

Had a look at that offer - it's not great is it?

However, if each one of us too time to use the contacts page on the website and request that they make larger hutches, and that that one isn't suitable then working together we might make a difference :)

I've just mailed them the following (I prefer and pleasant approach rather than extreme outrage ;))

Have seen advertised from your store the Single Tier Rabbit Hutch & Accessory Kit (£55.00)

You are one of the more reputable pet stores, and I am always pleased that my local branches keep their animals clean, they look healthy & there is signage up about rabbits preferring to live in pairs. However, this hutch would not be big enough for even one dwarf rabbit, let alone a pair of average sized rabbits.

RSPCA & the Rabbit Welfare Association guidelines specify a minimum of 6 x 2 x 2 foot hutches for a pair of rabbits, with run attached. (A single rabbit needs the same, but they are trying to get the message across that rabbits prefer to live with company)

An offer like this just encourages people to buy cheaply and think rabbits are cheap pets.

I also belong to the Rabbits United Forum, and so many of us would like to be able to buy larger hutches from stores like your is they were available.

I bought 2 of the Primrose Cottage hutches for my two pairs of rabbits last year, and although they are a good size I still need runs attached to them (and mine are Netherlands Dwarfs and very small).

Would you consider making larger hutches, and higher runs? (3 foot high on runs would be lovely for rabbits, 2 foot doesn't give most of them room to stretch up).

This offer for the single story hutch makes me very sad, thinking of a rabbit cooped up alone with no room to play, no room for toys, and no room to even stretch right up.

I left a review but I bet the won't approve it to be published. I gave it one star and said it failed to meet the 36 square feet of space recommended by the RWA. And pointed out it only gave bunnies 8 square foot of room. I'll email later when I get in from work.

Might be worth contacting the RWA directly - I know they have regular dialogue with PAH so they might be able to put some pressure on them. :)

Might be worth contacting the RWA directly - I know they have regular dialogue with PAH so they might be able to put some pressure on them. :)

Good point!

I think that the more people who contact them, whether individuals or large associations, then the more likely we are to get some change.

I've still got The Range on my list of stores to write to - their hutches are appallingly small!

I saw this too in my P@H last night :( A little girl and her dad bought the most gorgeous baby bunny (poor thing looked absolutely terrified bless him) and they got this deal. However the man did say that you should attach a run to the hutch and I joined in and said that they would probably need to buy a much bigger hutch when he grows.

Blackberry & Co - that's a great letter, i'm going to write to them now! :wave: I'm going to leave a review too.

Back