• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dandruff/Mites

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Is it possible for buns to get dandruff without it being mites? I just had a cuddle with Mischa and I've noticed he has a flaky patch on his back near his heck. I have noticed it before but I've never worried because the flakes are 'walking' like some people say mites do but it seems to have gotten a bit worse.

ETA: Done a bit of looking around online and it's not as bad as some photos but I'm going to mention it to the vet as it says it can be a cause of weight loss? Which is something Mischa has had recently although it is going back up now.

Last edited:
The mite dandruff doesn't always walk. However, I have found some bunnies seem prone to drier skin, especially when moulting. Badger used to get dry skin in that area, but I knew it wasn't mites because I could see beautiful new fur coming through from his moult, and when his moult had finished, or moved from that area, his skin settled down with no treatment.

Worth a mention though :)

I've noticed it in Mini and Nutmeg too. Although I think Nutmeg's might be from a small bite and Mini's from new fur coming through.

Am I right in saying they can have mites without it being a problem and then them flare up under stress?

I've noticed it in Mini and Nutmeg too. Although I think Nutmeg's might be from a small bite and Mini's from new fur coming through.

Am I right in saying they can have mites without it being a problem and then them flare up under stress?

This is the case...its usually when bun has a low immunity.
I remember when my BB had mites....not nice at all.I looked at them under a 'scope.**shudder**

Can I ask a couple more questions?

IF Mischa had mites...

(a) would it spread to the other three?

and

(b) would it cause itchy red marks on me? I can't work out if these marks I keep finding are to do with them or something biting me when outside.

Also the fur on his neck is quite fine compared to Mini's. Is this a symptom of mites?

I forgot to ask the vet to check him on Monday - dammit.

Ew, I think I just answered one of my own questions...

Symptoms in humans include multiple red, itchy bumps on the arms, trunk, and buttocks. Because humans are an irregular host for the mite, the symptoms usually go away in about three weeks.

I've been getting them on my torso and arms (not buttocks :shock:) and I get them, they go away and then come back after a while so I think I'd better phone up and maybe get him an appointment sooner than three weeks time which is when he's due for a weight checkup.

Last edited:
Back