• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training my rabbit

mightypete

New Kit
Hi new to here so hope this is in the right place :D

Just rehomed a rabbit, he will be living outdoors but coming in at night to the house to play etc as he will be himself so we want to give him lots and lots of attention.
Got a litter tray which he is starting to use (good for his first full day), and has his wee area, but he keeps coming on the couch and doing wee poos. when he does them I say no and put him and his poos in the tray.

should I keep doing this, as I dont to stop him going onto the couch in case he gets into thinking its always a no go area or (B) keep him off till he is using his tray all/most of the time and then let him up in future :).

Thanks, and great site, very good for learning stuff I didnt know :D

Is he castrated? Most people seem to have more success after neutering :wave:

Not yet but been reading that it helps, hes only into his first day training but I just want to make sure I do things right :D.

We have 2 girl lops aswell and he was getting excited around them today when they where sniffing him in his hutch so Ill speak to the vet when I take him for his health check tomorrow :p

My baby lop Titch did nothing but jump on my bean bags and wee all over them..I did the no thing and it didnt work out really, so I took them away. He also loves jumping on my bed and when I first of all had him he did nothing but pee and poop on there..not nice at all. So I got some old sheets and layered them over mine, so he wasn't staining my sheets. It quickly became apparant this was more to with territory marking that actually needing the loo. Your buns also not neutered so its sounds to me like he could be territory marking. I'm pretty sure he wants to start showing off for your girlies now too :)

I'd carry on very nicely communicating you don't approve, but bunny proof :) If you want him on the couch could stick some old sheets on it so he's not staining the material?

Back