• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smoking near pets

Grace65

Warren Veteran
I was thinking after this weekend when a smoker friend of mine lit up in my kitchen ( i dont like it cos gracie is in the kitchen and it lingers throughout the house) do you let people smoke near or around your pets, if you dont how do you politley say please dont smoke near my pets without offending?? xxx

I was thinking after this weekend when a smoker friend of mine lit up in my kitchen ( i dont like it cos gracie is in the kitchen and it lingers throughout the house) do you let people smoke near or around your pets, if you dont how do you politley say please dont smoke near my pets without offending?? xxx

I don't smoke and wouldn't let anyone smoke in my house or garden so I would have no problem telling someone *not* to light up around my pets - any smoker should ask before lighting up on your property in my opinion - it's only respectful to you and your property. So I'd just say - "I don't like people smoking in the house" - smoke stinks and the smell will linger and do damage so no need to mention the rabbit as there are lots of reasons people don't like smoking in the house though you can mention your rabbit if you want to! :p

if you dont want people smoking in your house just tell them :D they shouldnt assume its a right. people always ask me first as im a non smoker. im not as anti smoking as most being an X smoker so i usually say yes but i open a window and shut the door to upstairs so the buns never have contact.

even ste when he comes home now goes into the kitchen to smoke away from the pets and mm lungs :shock::shock:

Yeah dont worry i did tell her i didnt want her smoking in the house but then felt guilty because i sounded a but sharp as she lit one when grace was in the kitchen, i also have a bird, hamster and cat plus charlie bun and i dont like them breathing it in.

I just wondered what everyone elses opinions were and whether im being over the top or not? xxxxxxxxxxxxx

**cough** as a smoker..**cough**....I only smoke in the kitchen.and any visiting smoker has permission to do so, but oddly enough, I dont like it!!!
I smoke very little....3 yesterday......3 today.......
but having said that, I respect those who dont smoke so I wont smoke in any other persons space.

**cough** as a smoker..**cough**....I only smoke in the kitchen.and any visiting smoker has permission to do so, but oddly enough, I dont like it!!!
I smoke very little....3 yesterday......3 today.......
but having said that, I respect those who dont smoke so I wont smoke in any other persons space.

hahahahaha
Thats ok i just wondered if others smokers or not smoked around pets. :love: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just wondered what everyone elses opinions were and whether im being over the top or not? xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You aren't. Birds are even more susceptible to cigarette smoke than the other animals given their tiny lungs. Imagine you had a newborn baby in the house - would you feel OTT then? Nope. There's no difference - your pets rely on you to protect them and take care of them. You are their 'mummy' and shouldn't feel guilty for looking out for their best interests. :D xx

Maybe apologise for being a little sharp with your friend (though I think she should not have just assumed it was ok to light up .... it's not very polite to do this without asking!) and explain the situation if you're concerned about hurt feelings. x

hahahahaha
Thats ok i just wondered if others smokers or not smoked around pets. :love: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lordy, I try hard not to.Ruby came to me after plucking her feathers out...when grooming herself she could smell smoke....HE smoked...and she was plucking to get rid of the smell.
The cats will walk in the kitchen...but buns are in the bedroom and garden.

You aren't. Birds are even more susceptible to cigarette smoke than the other animals given their tiny lungs. Imagine you had a newborn baby in the house - would you feel OTT then? Nope. There's no difference - your pets rely on you to protect them and take care of them. You are their 'mummy' and shouldn't feel guilty for looking out for their best interests. :D xx

Maybe apologise for being a little sharp with your friend (though I think she should not have just assumed it was ok to light up .... it's not very polite to do this without asking!) and explain the situation if you're concerned about hurt feelings. x

Very well put!
She went and lit up and i said oh god dont smoke in here gracie and ruby will breathe it in!!!

She sort of looked at me gone out as though i was over the top and im sure she rolled her eyes at me.

Fair enough but she smokes about 20 in an hour!
i dont want my pets breathing it or to be made to feel guilty for saying so. xxxxxxxx

:wave: I would never smoke around my animals and if I were a non-smoker I wouldn't hesitate to say 'please don't smoke in the house, we don't smoke and we don't have it in the house' - tbh I am amazed that they had the cheek to just light up without saying 'would it be OK'? It's rude - I would have said in those circumstances - " what do you think your doing, it's non smoking only in the house - you have to go outside " They could like it or lump it frankly - they have a choice - your pets don't and it's your responsibility to protect their health and them from harmful fumes.

Very well put!
She went and lit up and i said oh god dont smoke in here gracie and ruby will breathe it in!!!

She sort of looked at me gone out as though i was over the top and im sure she rolled her eyes at me.

Fair enough but she smokes about 20 in an hour!
i dont want my pets breathing it or to be made to feel guilty for saying so. xxxxxxxx

Nobody should make you feel that way in your own home :shock: xxxx

Lordy, I try hard not to.Ruby came to me after plucking her feathers out...when grooming herself she could smell smoke....HE smoked...and she was plucking to get rid of the smell.
The cats will walk in the kitchen...but buns are in the bedroom and garden.

It must linger for a while you know, i can smell it for days after, im not against smoking not at all i used to smoke, but never near the pets. xxxxxxx

It must linger for a while you know, i can smell it for days after, im not against smoking not at all i used to smoke, but never near the pets. xxxxxxx

I smoke so little that its not noticeable really...and other people have commented.
Its only when HE has been here that it gets noticed.Smelly git.:lol:

Back