• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this normal? Dreaming/absence seizures

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed quite a few times now. Pickles will be lying calmly in his 'chicken' position, but I'll notice his head roll back slightly, his eyelids fluttering and his mouth sort of 'muttering' too. I'm not sure whether he's dreaming or whether it's something to worry about? It lasts for maybe 15 seconds, and then he just goes back to his normal resting. Do other buns do this? He's fine in general, so I'm probably just being an over anxious bunneh mummeh - thought I'd check with you lot though.

Last edited:
When Elwood and Hedgehog have their absences their eyes roll up through their head, not sure if this is typical for all absence seizures though :?

All my rabbits have 'muttered' while dreaming. They can be in any position but usually sitting on all four legs with their eyes closed and they will sort of chew and squint their eyes. I've never seen one roll their head back which sounds bad to me. That's just from experience though.

I've noticed quite a few times now. Pickles will be lying calmly in his 'chicken' position, but I'll notice his head roll back slightly, his eyelids fluttering and his mouth sort of 'muttering' too. I'm not sure whether he's dreaming or whether it's something to worry about? It lasts for maybe 15 seconds, and then he just goes back to his normal resting. Do other buns do this? He's fine in general, so I'm probably just being an over anxious bunneh mummeh - thought I'd check with you lot though.

I think they do this just to freak us out! Apricot Le Bunbun has taken to laying completely on his side in 'dead bunny position', and he even lets his eyes roll down in his head for maximum effect:
IMG_1997-1.jpg

Muttering or 'chuntering' as they relax into sleeping is normal :)

Back