• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat Flap questions... and outdoor set-up progress!

Hanlou

Mama Doe
Ok so I've been searching but couldn't find the answer to my question! We've been *very* busy today and have cleared and removed a small garden wall with garden on our patio (really isn't posh enough to be called a patio lol!) ready for the buns' outdoor set-up. :D

Then we went and ordered a shed - yay!! - to put on the patio which we will attach a run to. After much debating with myself I finally decided that a Playhouse would irriate me height-wise so although I can't have a full height run I want a full height shed lol. After ringing round we found someone locally who sells them for £140 inc. delivery which is £100 cheaper than anyone else so we've ordered one. The lovely man said if I buy a cat flap he will fit it for me at rabbit height.

Sooo... which cat flap should I buy? This (( Basic Staywell One )) looks good to me but just wondered what other people think?! Oh and should I remove the magnet? I'm sure I read somewhere that you should but can't find the post on that now.

Any advice appreciated. Am getting excited about all this now! Got to pressure wash the patio first though as it's yucky.

I have pretty much that catflap on my playhouse, it works well! The magnets are still on it (I hadn't heard anything about taking them off) but they're not such strong magnets that the rabbits can't open it. My playhouse is situated in such a way that the wind would blow through the flap if I took the magnets off.

Make sure to buy a catflap that is lockable in someway too. :wave:

My lot have a cat flap but can't work out how to use it:roll:, so I have to tie it up during the day. In addition, Smokey chewed the magnets off!

I am hoping to get a new shed in the summer and this time, I will just cut a hole in the side and make a sliding door/flap/thing.

It was me that advised you to take the magnet off, as it is easier for them to get in and out of the shed. I got one with a little tunnel on it, so it could be connected into the run more securely (as the run was bought seperately). It is best to get a four way locking one, because you can set it so they can go in but not out, which is very useful for putting them to bed if they aren't going in. I do go back later and lock the cat flap, though. With the cat flap, they can have access to the run all day (the shed is almost always locked so they have a safe place to hide).

IMGP1688.jpg

:wave:

I used to have the basic Staywell one when I had my bunny shed (before the kennel) and left the magnet on. Fiver had other ideas and removed it within about a week :lol:

Thanks for the posts - all very helpful - and I'd forgotten all about the locking thing which is important so it's a good job I asked! :p

It was me that advised you to take the magnet off, as it is easier for them to get in and out of the shed. I got one with a little tunnel on it, so it could be connected into the run more securely (as the run was bought seperately).

Thank you for the pic! I'd just been looking at one with a tunnel and wondered what it was for lol. I think I'll go for that one as it locks etc and is a good price - £12.99. :) xx

I think Jack and Hollie will soon figure it out - Jack is *so* nosey he's bound to work it out and Hollie always follows his lead plus they are both so greedy that I can always bribe them with food. ;) x

Back