• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rabbit, would it work?

Hopper

Mama Doe
As you may of read, I sadly lost my Simba last week :( I had 3 rabbits as in my signature and Dreama was his sister.

Oliver has never been a bunny or other rabbit person much, his name should be victor really after Victor meldrew as he is a real grumpy boy :roll::lol: My point is because of this he has never been snuggled up much at all to the others, always a bit of a loner. Since Simba has gone, Dreama has gotton lonely and is looking with drawn and depressed as Olover keeps himself to him self and she is missing the the companionship and another bunny to snuggle and interactive with.

I was wondering if bonding another bunny in would be a good idea or not? Dont want to make them unsettled, bit dont want to leave Dreama feeling lonely either. Should I wait and see how she goes? She is eating and drinking fine, just looking lob=nely and lost, withdrawn.

I have a few in rescue I could chose from should I decide to..

Hmm, so easy to advise others but harder to decide for when its yourself :?

I would say that you're not going to lose anything by looking. You can have a chat with the rescues you think you might adopt from, discuss your two bunnies and discuss what you want for Dreamer and why, and they should be able to give you more advice based on the rabbits they currently have in.

I would probably be looking to make a trio in this situation too, to be honest, but only if the right bunny came along.

I have a few in my rescue and a couple could be compatable to try with them.. To add another in for bonding would need to be a laid rabbit to get on with Oliver.

I am not sure what to do tbh.

Dreama is depseratly seeking now comfort in Oliver but wont allow it, he has always preffered to be a loner in the group. Because of this he is starting to attack her, he is chasing her like mad and if he gets her has a right go :( Even the dogs are getting concerned with this and try splitting it up, I have to keep dogs in and away if the buns are out now.

I am feeling for Dreama big time, but with the way Oliver is with other rabbits I darent trying bonding anymore in?

I would try bonding a trio. If a trio really wasn't working I would be tempted to split dreama and oliver and bond dreama with someone else.

You need to look at the needs of your rabbits here and personally I think dreama would benefit from a close relationship with another rabbit so she doesn't become lonely, particularly if she is being harassed by oliver. If oliver prefers his own company to being with another rabbit then I wouldn't mind keeping him on his own, in adjacent runs. Or, if funds allowed, then I would find another rabbit who is a similar character and bond the two of them.

If you've had a trio before I don't see that it would be impossible to bond the trio though. Dreama sounds like she would accept another bun to get the attention she wants and oliver sounds like he doesn't care and may be glad to have dreama off his back.
The best you can do is try - what do you have to lose if the two you're left with aren't very closely bonded?

I was in a similar situation just a couple of months ago. I lost one of a trio and the two that were left were not very keen on each other, they were both more closely bonded to Minstrel. I wasn't sure what to do but I wasn't really in a position to adopt another bun so I just kept an eye on them for a few weeks to see if they would settle. I moved them to a different hutch so they could sort of start a fresh and they did grow closer, and although it has taken some time I feel they are happily bonded now :)
Your two may still be adjusting so I wouldn't lose hope yet but if you are able to keep another bun with them then I don't see anything wrong with trying that either.

I was in a similar situation just a couple of months ago. I lost one of a trio and the two that were left were not very keen on each other, they were both more closely bonded to Minstrel. I wasn't sure what to do but I wasn't really in a position to adopt another bun so I just kept an eye on them for a few weeks to see if they would settle. I moved them to a different hutch so they could sort of start a fresh and they did grow closer, and although it has taken some time I feel they are happily bonded now :)
Your two may still be adjusting so I wouldn't lose hope yet but if you are able to keep another bun with them then I don't see anything wrong with trying that either.

yeh I would of thought that but Oliver has always been the loner of the group, even when Simba was here, it was always dreama and Simba and oliver on his own as thats how he likes it. I cant see that changing tbh??

Back