• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size cage?

Janey

Warren Veteran
I have two newly bonded bunnies which are house rabbits. At the moment they have a cage that is designed for just one rabbit but they are never shut in it, it's just a base for their water and litter tray. However my circumstances have changed and they can no-longer going to be able to have the run of the kitchen all day-they will have to be shut in whilst I'm at work and then let out in the evening.

I was wondering what size cage I would need and if anybody has any ideas where I can get one? I know some people use NIC cubes and puppy cages, the problem with this is when Peter goes for a wee he creates a kind of 'fountain effect' ( not great) so I need a tray at the bottom with high sides!! I've had a look around but havn't seen anything I consider big enough. Until I find something I am having to live without my bunnies so I need a solution asap.

Ooh that would be a good idea-I could just pop the base in and put the litter tray etc in there and forget the top of the normal cage!! Where do you get NIC cubes from and how much do they cost? I'd need to make a lid too as Peter can escape from anywhere.

We got ours from Ebay, they are also on Amazon. Search for mesh storage cubes.

I'm bonding my four at the moment and am using a base from a cage as their litter tray. I am also using these panels designed for use in the garden but they are exactly the same length as the tray so fit round it perfectly.

I'll show you a photo in a mo.

I know a lot of people use those large plastic underbed storage boxes as litter trays - would this help?

This is in no way big enough for four permanently but I'm bonding so I need it small.

_IGP7895-vi.jpg

I think this is definately a great idea, I'll just use the tray from the cage as a litter tray then build it bigger with the cubes. I'll have to get onto Amazon or e-bay and get ordering. Thanks for all your help, I really never thought of this.

my two are in a single pen made up of panels for two puppy pens - they have their old cages in their with lids and carpeted mdf on top to give a different level. they've been in there since i moved them downstairs from the bedroom, a few months ago, and it seems to be working well. they have poo trays in one of the cages, and several other trays for lounging.

We linked two Large Dog Crates together and use a large plastic box as their tiolet, stops the sprays :D:D The bed and sofa were just for the pic and not in there.

IMG_0614.jpg

I used a dog crate when mine were indoors with a puppy pen as a run so the cage could be left open with free access when i wasnt aaround to watch them getting into mischeave and chewing things they shuldnt..

5ft cage and the run/pen was full length of room too door.

rpen3.jpg

rabhab2.jpg

:wave:

Back