• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas how to get Panacur into a very fussy bun

Daphne & Peanut

Alpha Buck
:wave:

Does anybody have any ideas how I can panacur Peanut? I have put the panacur into a mini shredded wheat as I saw suggested on here Daphne wolfed it down but Peanut turned his nose up. I have tried it on all his favourite foods but he just eats around it , he's too clever for his own good.

I have tried to syringe it directly into his mouth but trying to hold him and do it I wasn't very successful and I think more ended up on me than anywhere else :lol::lol:

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated i'm running out of ideas. :D

Basil? Like a leaf, then the panacur on the leaf, and then another leaf.

Sky is super sneaky like this too though, but I have generally found with the basil leaf, he may not eat it straight off, but he will eat it in due course once left alone.

Did you wrap him up firmly in a towel with just his nose/mouth exposed when you attempted syringing it into his mouth?
His eyes should be covered too.

Sky is super sneaky like this too though, but I have generally found with the basil leaf, he may not eat it straight off, but he will eat it in due course once left alone.

Exactly what I was going to say. Basil has a really strong smell and it usually tricks the little blighters. ;) Roll the leaf around it so they can't spot the yucky white stuff.

I do this everytime....it's the only way with my two.

Last edited:
mixed in a tiny bit of mushed banana works for Alvin. basil leaf didnt work with either they just ate around it. spread onto of a fengueek (sp) worked best for Alsin and holly. by the end of the 28 days they even licked up any dropped bits of panacur :shock::shock:

ive only ever used the paste and not the liquid tho :D

Ooo i'll give that a try , he loves basil. :)

Did you wrap him up firmly in a towel with just his nose/mouth exposed when you attempted syringing it into his mouth?

I did wrap him in a towel but maybe I didn't have him tight enough as he just wriggled, I'll try the basil and if not i'll be brave and try him with a towel again , hes now 3 days behind daphne on the 9 day course!

I never had any luck putting medications on food, as the buns would quickly learn which bits not to eat. I found it easier to sort out a technique for syringing it in - it takes a while to get it right, and helps if you have someone to help out by holding the bun so you've got both hands free, but after a while both you and the bun should get used to it.

I find the best way to syringe is to get bun on the floor, kneel over bun, cross ankles, bend over bun and insert syringe in the side of the mouth. Works with Nutmeg.

I find the best way to syringe is to get bun on the floor, kneel over bun, cross ankles, bend over bun and insert syringe in the side of the mouth. Works with Nutmeg.

The only problem I found with that technique was that you can't clearly see what you're doing. I prefer to be at eye level with any animal I'm syringing. Just goes to show though, there is no one set technique that suits us all!

wow that was easy , just put it on a basil leaf and put another one on top and he wolfed t down , why didn't it think of that before! Thanks for all your ideas :D

:)That's good! I find a Sage sandwich works well, I have that in the garden, especially if you give the herb leaves a little rub first so they smell really nice.

The only problem I found with that technique was that you can't clearly see what you're doing. I prefer to be at eye level with any animal I'm syringing. Just goes to show though, there is no one set technique that suits us all!

If you bend over enough then you an get to eye level. It requires a bit of flexibility though!

I have managed to medicate Twinkle easily with a towel.. I put the towel on the table and then pull the back up to cover her bottom so she cant reverse, then each side comes up and over so she is completely wrapped in a towel with just her head sticking out :lol::lol::lol:

Easy!

im not flexible so i used to lean over pearl but lift up her front paws to syringe her meds... i cant see that working with Alvin or Holly, they will both whoop my ass... carrier lifting with a towel for both of them pair in the future i think :lol::lol::lol:

Back