• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Idea for rescues?!? U/D pg3 onward potential HUGE RU fundraiser?!

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Another blonde pondering while sitting on the train!

Could we have a thread where rescues list their top 5 current needs ie 1/ £x owing for vet bill 2/need a new hutch £300 3/new bunny coming in needs spay £80 etc So people could see what is the most current need and maybe donate specifically for one of those using a code name such as vet bill, hutch, spay!! Obviously not necessarily the full amount :lol: but if the totals were updated it might encourage more donation ie only £50 to go for the new hutch people might get excited by seeing the list items ticked off?!

I don't know just a mind rambling coz I know you already do specific fundraisers but it wouldn't mean that items on the list couldnt still have associated fundraisers!

Last edited:
Another blonde pondering while sitting on the train!

Could we have a thread where rescues list their top 5 current needs ie 1/ £x owing for vet bill 2/need a new hutch £300 3/new bunny coming in needs spay £80 etc So people could see what is the most current need and maybe donate specifically for one of those using a code name such as vet bill, hutch, spay!! Obviously not necessarily the full amount :lol: but if the totals were updated it might encourage more donation ie only £50 to go for the new hutch people might get excited by seeing the list items ticked off?!

I don't know just a mind rambling coz I know you already do specific fundraisers but it wouldn't mean that items on the list couldnt still have associated fundraisers!

I was thinking along a similar line this morning, after reading the thread about a rescue needing washing powder, and seeing that Rainbow Rabbits has a litter tray request in their sig.

It would be good for each Rescue to have a thread in a special section where they could specify what they are appealing for.

i think its a good idea, many people might see a couple of pounds as a drop in the ocean, and sometimes if you know they need another £20 to be able to order than new run you might think "well i can give £5 towards it", rather than think youre giving £5, and its nothing compared to the outgoings.

xx

i think its a good idea, many people might see a couple of pounds as a drop in the ocean, and sometimes if you know they need another £20 to be able to order than new run you might think "well i can give £5 towards it", rather than think youre giving £5, and its nothing compared to the outgoings.

xx

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking!!

...and yes Blackberry&Co. coz most of the time we're not really aware of things like they might need washing powder or bin bags etc

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for?

We always need washing powder, but obviously our vet bill is our top priority

I think it is a fab idea.
I don't know if people would say we count as we have officially closed. But we still have 1 doe looking for a home, 2 does feeding so can not be rehomed for a while, four 4 week olds, five 6 week olds, ten one week and a half old and two 2 week olds :(

Our vet bill is currently £952.57, and that is before we try and get through the vaccs and neuters of these when older. :cry:

Where we have very few homable rabbits, we have no real donations and therefore relying on fundraising, which is going real slow.

If each rescue had a thread showing your top five-ten needs/wants and the cost of each one then a bit of a running total showing how far you've got to go to acheive that goal. If I checked one day and saw that you were £ 5.00 off getting a new hutch or speying a doe then I'm more likely to donate the
£ 5.00 knowing where it went. A random donation is good but it's not really something i'm that likely to do. Its like children in need where they update the total it encourages people to give more often. Does that make sense :?

So do you need our vet bill totals as obviously I can't predict what ops we will have coming up as they are not pre-planned?

Our vet bill stands at around £3900

We have 2 runs that we need to replace but we will be building those ourselves eventually. We also need to replace an old playhouse but we haven't decided what to replace it with yet.

Last edited:
I think it is such a wonderful and thoughtful idea. The only problem is there are so many rescues (and Sanctuaries) to go around.

Our monthly vet bill is approx £1,300 per month. Same as Liz, the vet bill is always the major worry.

Our dried food bill is over £3k a year.

Hay, I use 4/5 bales a week, at £3.50 per bale.

Fresh veg is in the region of £10 per day.

I generally have 30 rabbits vaccinated each month, either myxo or VHd.

And these bills do not even take into consideration the 'hidden' costs, transport, fuel, electricity, phone bills, we have actually purpose built some buildings for the rescue, my hubby paid for this, and he does not even like rabbits:lol: Poor chap.

Sadly things are getting worse. There are more and more animals needing help, those coming into rescue are more often very poorly and in need of additional vet treatment.

I would love to have bigger hutches/sheds, more runs etc, but often just getting the rabbit or piggy to safety is the major concern and then preparing it for homing. I expect Sanctuaries need better accommodation more than I do in a way, as they have the buns/piggies as 'forever homed'. My forever homed are usually the 'cannot be homed' :lol:

I am sure others are the same, all our own money goes into keeping things going.

Alice

I think it is such a wonderful and thoughtful idea. The only problem is there are so many rescues (and Sanctuaries) to go around.

Our monthly vet bill is approx £1,300 per month. Same as Liz, the vet bill is always the major worry.

Our dried food bill is over £3k a year.

Hay, I use 4/5 bales a week, at £3.50 per bale.

Fresh veg is in the region of £10 per day.

I generally have 30 rabbits vaccinated each month, either myxo or VHd.

And these bills do not even take into consideration the 'hidden' costs, transport, fuel, electricity, phone bills, we have actually purpose built some buildings for the rescue, my hubby paid for this, and he does not even like rabbits:lol: Poor chap.

Sadly things are getting worse. There are more and more animals needing help, those coming into rescue are more often very poorly and in need of additional vet treatment.
I would love to have bigger hutches/sheds, more runs etc, but often just getting the rabbit or piggy to safety is the major concern and then preparing it for homing. I expect Sanctuaries need better accommodation more than I do in a way, as they have the buns/piggies as 'forever homed'. My forever homed are usually the 'cannot be homed' :lol:

I am sure others are the same, all our own money goes into keeping things going.

Alice

This is something I have definately noticed both for us personally and lots of the rescues on here. It seems worse now than it ever has :(

I was only saying to Kate yesterday how we are continually rebuilding our accommodation as I always want things better for our bunnies as this is the last home they will ever know and it has to be the best of everything for them :) Even though we are a sanctuary every one of our bunnies are treated as if they were our only pet, if we couldn;t offer them that then we would stop doing it all together.

Alice I can't belive your poor husband doesn't like rabbits :lol: Bless him

We could do with a few acres of land with outbuildings if anyone has got any spare in the midlands :) Other than that probably:

Vets bills - In the region of £1000 a month. It's very hard to say if we have a big op or similar coming up, mainly it is just turnover. You can however donate a carrot (£1) on our website www.fatfluffs.com for any bunny that is currently on our rehome list.

Your time - Help for summer events (pm woodlouse if you are not on our current disctribution list) or if you would like to do a sponsorship event like run/cycle swim/ bungee jump or can come up with some clever things for Rocky our mascot to do those ideas are always welcome.

I'll see if chloe has any other ideas.

Ok this is kind of what I was thinking...

Subsection in Fundraising specifically for rescues. Each rescue posts their own thread and page one states a top 5 priority needs! Eg

1/ Current overall vet bill £4,000 (vet bill)
2/ New Hutch £300 (hutch)
3/ Spay for 'Daisy' £80 (spay)
4/ Dental for 'Dudley' £100 (dental)
5/ New Run £200 (run)

People can then see a) the huge debt you have and b)what you specifically need right now! They could then donate specifically to help one of your immediate needs using the (code word) I know it might take some effort but if you then update the totals every so often people may be encouraged to maybe donate a bit more to help pay for something especially if they see a total coming down and the opportunity for you to scratch an item off the list and add a new one!!

Does that make better sense? I know a list of five is the tip of the iceberg and things are coming in all the time but it might help increase donations?!

I think it is a great idea in theory, but not sure if it will work fairly in practice.

Some rescues running costs are going to be a lot higher than others so smaller rescues might loose out. :?

For us and I am sure a lot of other rescues, things like dentals etc don't wait until there are funds available, they are done as soon as they are needed.

I was wondering if it would be easier if rescues or representatives made a list of ways in which people could help, for us it would be bunny sponsorships and buying our biscuits/ merchandise. And also a list of practical things they need, such as washing powder, bin bags, litter trays etc :?

I think it's a great idea too. I have seven buns of my own and eight cats so whenever I think of donating it would only be £5 or £10 and I often think it wouldn't be worth it but if I saw a list of 'wants' and one was a few hundred pounds then I would feel I could contribute to achieving that goal - if that makes sense.

I can't commit a specific amount each month but if I do a lot of overtime and have a good month I would be happy to send something to a rescue to help with a spay or a new hutch or pay for a vaccination. I often see pet stuff on offer too so could buy some and send it on if I knew what was required.

Yes I see what you mean maybe dentals etc were a wrong example maybe it should be things that can wait such as hutch/run but may take second place to the more urgent things! I just think people feel more inclined to give if it feels more personal in that they are specifically paying for something I know they do with sponsorships etc maybe someone can better explain what I mean?! I think people tend to give more support to well know rescues coz they're well known?! But if you could look through threads and see other rescues and their lists maybe people would feel inclined to help out a smaller lesser known rescue that doesnt post as much dunno really!?

I totally love this idea but I sense that it might be difficult to keep updated :wave:

It would be really nice, though to have a thread with a list of ALL rescues, large or small, with contact details so that if we want to make a donation we can just look in one place to find out who to get in touch with (apologies if this already exists - I just haven't found it yet :))

It would be really nice, though to have a thread with a list of ALL rescues, large or small, with contact details so that if we want to make a donation we can just look in one place to find out who to get in touch with (apologies if this already exists - I just haven't found it yet :))

There is a list on rabbit rehome but needs updating. Maybe someone could see if Tamsin would like some help with doing this :)

Maybe there could be a wish list? Each rescue could list a few small "wishes" each month, or one bigger wish? small wishes could be items, litter trays, washing powder, hay for a dental bunny/fussy bunny, etc.and bigger wishes could be for a new set up for a rescue or permanent bunny.

dont know if that could work?

Back