• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ADVICE bun poorly after reargaurd treatment

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
I applied reargaurd five hours ago, now i find Barney not eating, when i rest my hand over his back i can feel a shudder through his body about every ten seconds, he was fine before treatment, he is alert. IS this normal, my other buns i treated are fine, i am worried he will get worse, hes an outdoor bun so nor quite as easy to keep an eye on. hat would you do?
Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't know either, but I would call the vet for advice and definately bring him in tonight. I hope he is better soon.

This has happened to us in the past (with one in particular we thought we would loose him he reacted so badly).

In both instances I immediately washed off the rearguard (and then had all the fun of trying to dry the rabbit!).

I really would try and sponge off as much of the treatment as possible right now, contact a vet , and just take extra extra care that the bun doesn't get sticky bum or anything.

Jimby had a terrible reaction to Rearguard which is why we did not use it again, apparently it can have the side effect of gut disturbance so yes it can happen.
I would as others have said wash off as much of the rearguard as you can, with warm water and dry bun afterwards.
Try to syring feed him to get something in to his tummy, hopefully that will kick start. If he is still off colour in an hour I would take him to the vets.

I tried some flystrike spray on Clover once, but I wouldn't use it again as I'm sure it made him ill.

Have you contacted a vet yet?

Hope your bun's ok.

I have read on another thread that someone's bun had a terrible reaction to rearguard :( hope he is ok, sending you lots of vibes xxxxxxx

Given him a good rinse (wasnt easy on my own) got him almost dry with kitchen roll, and syringed him some water. He was sitting trying to dry himself though i realise he could be disguising how unwell he feels. I will check him soon and make a decision as to what to do next.
I would bring him indoors Jane, but i tried once before when he was poorly and he became very stressed, he is very much an outdoor bun and think he would do better in his own environment. (He is in a large shed with his wife, not just loose outdoors)
I used rearguard on him last year and he had no noticable reaction to it then, i did't realise other buns had reacted badly with it i thought was supposed to be safe, although one of my other buns reacted badly to it last year and i would never use it on her again.

Barney is seaching his hay and eating nice bits:D(not intrested in other food yet) He still seems a bit subdued but that awful shuddering from last night has stopped.
I think washing him last night helped him, thanks for advice, i will be keeping a close eye on him.

I have now found another of my buns not eatin:( Hannah hasnt been rearguarded and is in completly different place to Barney.
Why does eveything always seem to go wrong at the same time:roll:

Back