• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feet thumping?

_alfie

Young Bun
alfie will not stop thumping his feet at me, everytime i open his cage he goes into the corner and thumps his feet, when i try picking him up to put him outside he just thumps his feet. When he is acctualy outside he thumps his feet and normaly he goes down/up the stairs by himself, but now when he gets to the middle and im right behind him he thumps his feet :? I was just wondering what it means, does it just mean he wants his space or something or does he just hate me? :shock:

-leona. :)

I have a few thumper buns - they do it when they're indignant at something and some of mine do it as a way of "answering back". I think it can be a territory thing too, or a bit like a child's mini-tantrum only quieter and more endearing! I always find it funny when mine do it - it's just a part of their personality. It can also be when they're a bit nervous though so good to figure out what causes it.

It might take a while for his hormones to settle yet. Has the thumping just started recently or has he always done it?

pretty much always, i think because i have to lift him further it annoys him though, my mum says i should start petting him more and hand feeding him

pretty much always, i think because i have to lift him further it annoys him though, my mum says i should start petting him more and hand feeding him

That's good advice. :) Some buns are scared of heights, and being picked up - it's natural for them to be as it's like being caught by a bird of prey. Look at it from their point of view - would you want some giant hands reaching out of the sky and picking you up?! :lol:

My advice would be to spend as much time as possible on the floor with him. Let him hop up to say hello, and even hop onto you. Hand feed as often as you can, and as he gets used to this start to stroke him continuously while he eats. Talk quietly and soothingly, and move calmly around him. Try to avoid picking him up if you can possibly help it - use the carrier to move him round, and train him to come when he's called using his favourite treats.

Just be consistant, and you'll get there in the end. While he may never be a 'snuggle bun', as long as he's happy and feels safe around you, that's what matters. :D

Back