• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 Bunnies 'vs' 1 Bunny on cost

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok so we are 'considering' getting a wifeybun for our boy Jimbles, but as I am not working due to health reasons so money is not 'free flowing' obviously we want the best for Jimbles and want him to be happy but can not afford to be doubling ouir costs, is that how it would be?

If you are getting a neutered female and your current space is big enough, the cost of having two buns is negligable in my view. It's just if you end up with any vets bills, but if you are unemployed, you can get the new rabbit registered with pdsa and they will pay any vet bills that crop up.

Double the vaccination cost. The rest isn't too bad if they are bonded.

Vets bills are something that really need to be taken into account though, i.e. what might happen in an emergency, etc.

I think its very smart to consider this aspect of it before taking on another- for sure.

Ok so we are 'considering' getting a wifeybun for our boy Jimbles, but as I am not working due to health reasons so money is not 'free flowing' obviously we want the best for Jimbles and want him to be happy but can not afford to be doubling ouir costs, is that how it would be?

Not really Rachael, the only things that double are the vaccs fees as you would be adopting a rescue bun ;) she would already be neutered. Obviously it would mean more vet costs but as Jimbie is insured you may want to continue to do that and I don't think premiums are double necessarily for two buns under the same owner. (could be wrong).

Certainly food costs aren't really double as there tends to be less waste with veg etc. And, as you are trying to alter Jim's diet to more hay and less of everything else, then you may find the food costs remain constant. Hay is cheap if you buy it in large quantities. There is a farm in Lyne that might have good hay by the bale if you have room.

You have house buns so accommodation shouldn't be a problem.

Nope, vets are the only consideration but as I mentioned earlier, the having a friend might actually help Jim to stay well for longer.:D

Thank you for all your posts, I forgot to mention that my Husband does work full time so we are covered for emergencies when need be but can not freely afford them.

Despite costs, I think I am thinking quite selffishly on the facts- I do not want to be without Jims whilst he is being bonded, he is my bonded partner and I love him so much :oops:

and...

I worry that once bonded he may not want snuggles with me any more :cry:

I worry that once bonded he may not want snuggles with me any more :cry:

I can field that one! Jack and I were really bonded before he went off to be bonded to his wifebun' - and I had the same concerns. But Jack is as soft as ever with me and just as demanding! The only 'problem' with having two bunnies is that you have to learn to give synchronised nose-rubs as they insist on snuggling up to me at the same time and want nose-rubs together too ! ;)

Insurance-wise it won't double. You get discounts for multiple bunnies so it didn't actually cost that much more to insure Hollie as well as Jack as you get discount for both rabbits. I can check out my rates for you if you want specific costs. :) xx

I think you are very sensible to consider all this first though. And no-one can doubt your love for gorgeous Jims so I know you'll always do what's in his best interests as well as what is practical. :love:

I just worry also about the stress involved for him in regards to the bonding, he gets stressed so easily, I wouldnt mind so much if I were able to be with him as then I know he is alright as I know the signs when he is stressed.

I just worry also about the stress involved for him in regards to the bonding, he gets stressed so easily, I wouldnt mind so much if I were able to be with him as then I know he is alright as I know the signs when he is stressed.

I guess it's very difficult to weigh up between having someone experienced do the bonding or doing it yourself and having the reassurance that you are there to watch over them. :p

If you feel you need to be there you could do the bonding yourself with the proviso that if it doesn't work the 'other bunny' would go back to the rescue so that you could try again with a different bunny and wouldn't end up with two single bunnies. :) xx

If you feel confident to bond them that is lol.

I was thinking of asking Helen to bond for us, but I think I would want to camp out with her or at least go and see him each day, I do not think I could be without him for days, even when he was hospitalized we visited him at the vets each day so he has never been without us either.
He is my baby :cry:

Back