• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buniless Beth

Bethypants

New Kit
Hello all.

I'm afraid I'm quite uneducated about rabbits. I'm very, very much a dog person (breeder, shower, trainer, etc, etc,) but my mother's birthday is coming up, and I think I may get her a rabbit. I've been doing some research and think a dwarf would be best for our lifestyle, though I of course would like a Giant, I just don't think we'll have the time to give such a large rabbit the exercise it would need, plus I'm concerned that because it's such a widely-admired breed, health problems may be common. Not to say that they aren't in smaller breeds, but ahm, if I've learnt something about dogs, it's that if one breed is overbred because of popularity, things start to slide...

Anyway. If anyone could give me a bit of advice on which breed would be best for us, I would very much appreciate it. My pooches are very low prey-driven (Miniature Schnauzers) although they were originally bred for ratting, I feel quite confident that I can train them to become tolerant and loving of the future bunny with all-positive training methods.

Now, that said...I'm an idiot when it comes to rabbits. We had a couple when I was a child, but they bit, they were very...anti-social...and would wee all over the place. I'm fairly certain one could train a rabbit to pee on a puppy pad or something when out of its hutch, but what about biting? If I got a bunny baby, would it naturally bite or are they like dogs, non-biting unless provoked? I really have no idea at all.

ANY advice about rabbits would be awesome. I really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Beth

I think visiting your local rescue centre would be a good place to start. Rabbits should be kept in pairs so they will have some available that are already bonded and they can tell you about their temprement.

If you post where abouts in the UK you are someone might know your nearest rescue.

I agree with Snowberry about getting a rabbit/s from rescue.

Just wondering how do you know your Mum wants a rabbit? It may be risky to just get one and then find out she doesn't want one.

They would be happier in a pair!

I have 4 Netherlands Dwarfs - trust me, they do not need less exercise than a big rabbit!!!!

Oh lordy, I know that! I certainly wouldn't get her a rabbit if I didn't think she wanted one, lol!

Rescue centre is an idea I hadn't considered, but will, but I'm worried about behavioural problems as I have so little experience with rabbits. I didn't know they were companion creatures either.

What would be your take on breeds, then? Which breeds are the lowest in health problems, energy levels, etc?

If you adopt from a rescue the buns will be neutered and vaccinated. They'll also tell you of the buns health history (if any probs), their temperment and personality.
You'll need a good sized hutch/play house/kennel with run, each rescue has their own requirements for rehoming also they'll do a home check for suitability of the buns accomodation etc beforehand.

Oh lordy, I know that! I certainly wouldn't get her a rabbit if I didn't think she wanted one, lol!

Rescue centre is an idea I hadn't considered, but will, but I'm worried about behavioural problems as I have so little experience with rabbits. I didn't know they were companion creatures either.

What would be your take on breeds, then? Which breeds are the lowest in health problems, energy levels, etc?

Behaviour problems are more likely in breedors rabbits as they are not handled as often and young rabbits still have their hormones.

Rescues can match you up with a pair that best meet your needs. They will already be neutered so you dont have to go through the behaviour/hormonal problems and dont have the expense of getting it done yourself.

I have two lops a mini lop and dwarf lop, never bitten....much depends on the buns, their history, as I mentioned a rescue will advise you.
Neutering helps with hormones and aggressiveness, territrial issue etc too...you pay an adoption fee for the adoption of your chosen buns...this is to cover their neutering, vaccinations etc.....much better than paying £70 for a spay for one doe!

Hiya, welcome to RU! :wave:

I just wanna say WELL DONE YOU for doing your research first - so many people just charge in there without thinking it through.

I definately agree with the rescue thing. That way, you'll be able to choose a calm pair (MUST be a pair, rabbits would naturally live in large groups, so need somebun to snuggle with, play with and 'talk' to) which have the sort of personalities you're looking for. They'll also be neutered and vaccinated already (imperative, if you want to litter train them and keep them safe) which will work out cheaper and far less stressful in the long run.

I've copied this from a previous thread. Hopefully it'll be useful:

There are many things to consider:

Cost: Buns are actually blimmin' expensive! I have 2 small ones, and they cost me in the region £250 a month.

Life expectancy: Buns usually live between 8 and 12 years. Can you say now whether you (or your mum!) will still be able to commit to them?

Breakability: I love my buns to pieces, but they are very prone to illness. They may need syringe feeding or even home injecting sometimes. Do you feel your mum would be able to cope with the stress of that?

Space: There's nothing sadder than seeing a rabbit confined to a 3 foot hutch. Rabbits need loads of room, as they can be incredibly active (search 'binky pics'!) and need the space to run and jump.

Bunny-proofing: Where you thinking in terms of outdoor buns, or house rabbits? Either way you'll need to look at bunny-proofing, as they can be extremely destructive. If you were planning on letting them free-range in the garden you'll need to make sure it's 100% secure, with no way in for predators, and you'll need to check whether all your plants are safe for buns. Inside you'll need to remove anything precious from bunny height, hide wires, remove houseplants, insure nothing can be knocked off anything which might hurt the buns, and be prepared for some 'accidents' while they're still litter training.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound all negative! :oops: I think it's fantastic you found this site BEFORE getting buns, (I think we all wish we had!) so now you can go into it with your eyes open. If you are prepared for all the above rabbits can make fantastic pets, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies guys. It's great to get the insider view!

With all that said...perhaps I'd better not get a rabbit. I know I may sound like someone who's strolled in and is now blanking at such a cost and some things I hadn't considered...because, um, that's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm VERY glad of the research beforehand now, otherwise I may well have run in and got one and come across these reasons later on. I don't think my mum WOULD be able to take care of a rabbit for that long, I thought rabbits lived for about three years! Thank blooming gosh I found this forum!

Thank you very much for all of your help and helping me come to the right decision. I think I'll stick to my puppies galore for now, and perhaps think about rabbits later on in life when I can fully commit to them!

Thank you for your help, guys!

Kind regards,

Beth

Thanks for all your replies guys. It's great to get the insider view!

With all that said...perhaps I'd better not get a rabbit. I know I may sound like someone who's strolled in and is now blanking at such a cost and some things I hadn't considered...because, um, that's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm VERY glad of the research beforehand now, otherwise I may well have run in and got one and come across these reasons later on. I don't think my mum WOULD be able to take care of a rabbit for that long, I thought rabbits lived for about three years! Thank blooming gosh I found this forum!

Thank you very much for all of your help and helping me come to the right decision. I think I'll stick to my puppies galore for now, and perhaps think about rabbits later on in life when I can fully commit to them!

Thank you for your help, guys!

Kind regards,

Beth

Not everyone realise the commitments a rabbit can bring...glad you know the facts beforehand and have reached a decision.
Best of luck with the pooches :D

I'm bunniless too ):
I'm just making sure I know as much as possible before buying one. Always good to know what to expect :D
Welcome to RU ^^

its alwasy best to do research and well done you on doing so! how about a hasmter or rats or degus if looking for a small companion with less life longlivity?

You are such a sensible person, if only more people were like you and asked for advice first before getting a rabbit, there would be far less bunnies having to go into rescues. They really are a serious commitment. Well done you:love:

Back