• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help for 12 year old!

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
Just got back from my bf's friends bbq and noticed their neighbour had a rabbit next door, it was in a dilapidated hutch which looked barely 2 foot wide. Rabbit could turn, hop and turn again.

I asked about it and apparently it's 'about 12 years old' probably an exageration, but they've had it forever and the kids have all left home and it's aggressive and they're hoping it pops its clogs soon. He asked if I wanted it. I can't take on another bun, but maybe someone or a rescue could take this poor bun so he can live the last of his remaining days knowing what life can be like?

:( What kind of bunny is it? Is it small? I think Liz (Hugo's There) is still looking for a little, older friend for Mini Mouse. :wave:

We could take him here but it is a 5/6 hour journey one way, and I am not sure it would be fair to put an elderly rabbit through such a long journey :?

:cry: aww my first thought was Liz when I saw this but wonder if theres anyone nearer that could help?

Poor bunny

I just said same in my pm. :)
I think he has been stuck in that little hutch all his life too, so it might be a big shock to him. There was another slightly smaller hutch all broken etc. He did have water and looked very clean and had a bed of hay, so at least could eat. His owners are also elderly and the man has just had a bad stroke and is in stroke so I think they will be more keen to rehome now.

Well we are happy to help if you think its in the bunny's best interests:? You know where we are :wave:

But completely understand that a long journey isn't really what he needs

Liz, I will get them to ask the current owners if they think that would be suitable for bun. I don't think they're horrid, just don't know any better. :(

Thank you for your offer!

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I didn't realise it was such a long way between you and Liz :oops:

Would it be possible to get him there if you could find someone in the middle that would foster him for a day or two so he can do the journey in two sections?!

I was just thinking the same as Georgie f. Maybe the journey could be done in stages staying a few days in each location to make it easier for him.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise it was such a long way between you and Liz :oops:

Would it be possible to get him there if you could find someone in the middle that would foster him for a day or two so he can do the journey in two sections?!

Liz would have to answer that, my eldest is only 5, I'm not used to dealing with elderly buns. :)

Me neither really. I guess he'd be ok in a carrier though as his hutch is so small. He could even be transported in his hutch if it's only two foot as that'd fit in a car. :)

could have him here but its 3 hours drive to me just done a multi map ....my heart goes out to this bunny:(

I missed this. :) hm, we are supposed to be going on holiday in a couple of weeks to scotland, if we manage to book somewhere I wonder if it could work out that we could keep him in the holiday cottage for a couple of days to shorten the journey. We're just going Dumfrey's and Galloway.

Liz you are the expert on elderly buns though, so what do you think?

Me neither really. I guess he'd be ok in a carrier though as his hutch is so small. He could even be transported in his hutch if it's only two foot as that'd fit in a car. :)

I am not a big fan of long bunnyruns, especially if you have no idea how the bunny will travel. Personally I prefer to do them in one go rather than have stop overs as I think it just draws out the stress, but every bunny is different.

It would be good if he could have a health check first to see if he could travel :? I know Maisey would never have made it any further than our house and that was only 50 minutes away and she was only 9 years :?

I will wait until we have a bit more info and then hopefully we can make a more informed decision. Or maybe someone closer will come forward with a home :)

I am not a big fan of long bunnyruns, especially if you have no idea how the bunny will travel. Personally I prefer to do them in one go rather than have stop overs as I think it just draws out the stress, but every bunny is different.

It would be good if he could have a health check first to see if he could travel :? I know Maisey would never have made it any further than our house and that was only 50 minutes away and she was only 9 years :?

I will wait until we have a bit more info and then hopefully we can make a more informed decision. Or maybe someone closer will come forward with a home :)

I agree and I would assume he is unvaccinated so wouldn't want him exposed to lots of different homes. :)
I would be willing to take him for a health check and keep him for a couple of days if I knew someone could definately give him a home afterwards. It's too tiny here for another pet and Molly wouldn't bond with another bun other than Faline he is too stroppy.

I missed this. :) hm, we are supposed to be going on holiday in a couple of weeks to scotland, if we manage to book somewhere I wonder if it could work out that we could keep him in the holiday cottage for a couple of days to shorten the journey. We're just going Dumfrey's and Galloway.

Liz you are the expert on elderly buns though, so what do you think?

let me know where your going to be and I can work out how long a drive from me all depends where your going.....

Back