• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age can a female rabbit get pregnant

sue 1974

Alpha Buck
I run a rescue mainly guinea pigs but do take the odd bunny in. I was given a brother and sister by a breeder who was given up and needed them gone asap. I have kept them in the house. She says they were born on 8 March. The buck was very small. In the last week he has started humping his sister. He does have testicals now though only just. Thing is he is only 13 weeks old on Monday. I have booked him in for castration on 15 June.

Can she get pregnant by him this early. Is 14 weeks too early for him to be done or should i be rusjhing him in this week? Is she too young to be done? he is still quite little(smaller than her).

thanks

He can be done as soon as his bits have dropped, so that's completely fine :) He will still be fertile for 6-8 weeks after a neuter, so be aware of that :)

Girlies need to be done later, and the rules will depend on your vet.

She is not too young to become pregnant. Although it would be uncommon, its not impossible. The smaller the breed, the more it is a possibility.

When I got Benson and Lola (mini lops) Benson was 16 weeks and Lola was 9 weeks. The advice I got was that it wasn't impossible for Lola to get pregnant even then but she was too young to be spayed. Benson was done immediately and I think from memory Lola was spayed at 20 weeks. Bensons op worked over night (mojowise!!) - he went to the vets humping mad and woke up with not a notion of any funny business! We had a humping lull until Lola got older and found her mojo!! She wouldn't leave poor Benson alone and got angry with him because he wouldn't, ahem, perform. The vet said she would need to be spayed soon because it could turn into a fight. :roll:

Back