• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!please

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
My rabbit ash is in her run and i have just came out and found her flopped out on her ice pod:love:

but as i got closer i noticed her mouth was drooling and syliva(sp??) was dripping offf her chin also all around her nose and mouth was wet i have driend it now ( it wasnt water either). also she stayed flopped when i got close enough to stroke her and she even stayed quite floppy while i was stroking her i picked her up and she just stayed floppy. This is not like her at all usually if she sees me come out the back door and she is flopped out she bounces up and runs around and definatly wouldnt let me stroke her while she is lying down.she is also breathing rappidly and shaking:shock: she has shade water and an ice pod. seen as how she wont mover herself i popped her on her ice pod and she didnt even look like she had noticed.

asked my mum and she just said she was hot but i am really worried.

any help grately appreciated

Ash&crystalx

Can you take her somewhere cool? A bathroom with a tiled floor? Put a teatowel in cool water and wring it out and lie it over her to keep her cool and if you have a fan you can put on and supervise and let it blow gently over her until her breathing slows I would do this. It sounds like she has heat stroke and this is very serious. In the meantime I would call the vets and tell them so they are prepared in case you need to rush her down - which you must do if she does not cool down with all the above things I have mentioned.

ETA damp your hands in a bowl of cool water and wet her ears. Is she still breathing quickly and shaking? You NEED to cool her down with damp cloths, a cool floor (or ice pod as you are) and get a fan on her if you can. If things don't improve this is an emergency and she will need to see a vet immediately.

Last edited:
Hope she is ok? Have you taken her to the vet yet?

I didn't read your post properly and reading it again now it sounds like she is in real respiratory distress and shock from heat stroke and she needs to see a vet immediately. Wrap her in a damp towel and take her NOW if you haven't.

ETA i'm so sorry I didn't read your post properly first time :( I hope I didn't make you delay any further.
I do hope she is going to be ok x

Last edited:
Right

I have brought her in she is on tile floor and has been infront of a fan she ahs calmed down alot. she has stopped shaking and her breathing has slowed down a bit. she is moving around and drinking water.
I havent taken her to the vet i will see how she gets on and if she isnt back to normal in a bit i will take her
but she has calmed down and her breathing is nearly back to normal
I have wet her ears a bit and she is grooming herself

Right

I have brought her in she is on tile floor and has been infront of a fan she ahs calmed down alot. she has stopped shaking and her breathing has slowed down a bit. she is moving around and drinking water.
I havent taken her to the vet i will see how she gets on and if she isnt back to normal in a bit i will take her
but she has calmed down and her breathing is nearly back to normal
I have wet her ears a bit and she is grooming herself

Oh gosh thank god for that I was very worried I had advised you for a bunny too hot and not a bunny in full on heat stroke. So glad she is looking better already. x

oh they have homes but are going ina week but we have people taking them i know which are boys and girls now (they are in the cool garage not in the heat)

Oh gosh thank god for that I was very worried I had advised you for a bunny too hot and not a bunny in full on heat stroke. So glad she is looking better already. x

thanks so much for your help she sstill is in a bit of shock and is flopped out know but like usual if you got tto stroke her she hops up but doesnt run around she is drinking and lying on her ice pod(inside)

oh they have homes but are going ina week but we have people taking them i know which are boys and girls now (they are in the cool garage not in the heat)

Sorry...couldn't remember if they were still with mum. I bet the garage is really nice and cool for them!

Glad Ash is cooling down. I'd put her entire pen in the shade (if possible so it's covered all day and doesn't have any chance to heat up.

Flagstones in her pen will stay cool, so she can lie on them. You have an ice pod which is brilliant! Freezing bottles of water and hen putting them in her pen (covered with a teatowel) are more things to keep her cool. Water in a bottle and a bowl gives her more choice of where to drink.

Sorry...couldn't remember if they were still with mum. I bet the garage is really nice and cool for them!

Glad Ash is cooling down. I'd put her entire pen in the shade (if possible so it's covered all day and doesn't have any chance to heat up.

Flagstones in her pen will stay cool, so she can lie on them. You have an ice pod which is brilliant! Freezing bottles of water and hen putting them in her pen (covered with a teatowel) are more things to keep her cool. Water in a bottle and a bowl gives her more choice of where to drink.

Great ideas!:D she is still lying on the tiles and her breathing isnt perfect but she is more alert drinking and has sstopped shaking Plus she has stopped drooling.

This forum is great as soon as i found her and after the panic this is the first place I thought of and ran to come on and get help!
I will go put some water ina bottle and freeze it now
thanks againx:D

Great ideas!:D she is still lying on the tiles and her breathing isnt perfect but she is more alert drinking and has sstopped shaking Plus she has stopped drooling.

This forum is great as soon as i found her and after the panic this is the first place I thought of and ran to come on and get help!
I will go put some water ina bottle and freeze it now
thanks againx:D

She might still need to see the vet as she could be quite dehydrated after all the fluid she lost panting and dribbling. I think if she is still no better soon I would call the vet for advice and to whether to bring her down for some fluids under the skin or on a drip, she might need them just to make sure all her internal organs aren't suffering from dehydration.

Back