• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piccies of Strawbs set up and opinions please

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I covered Strawbs run in this green netting yesterday so that he couldnt wind Snowdrop up but then realised that it also blocks out alot of sunlight and stops flies getting through. I have only attached it on top so it can be lifted up but I wondered if anyone can see any problems in using this in the summer?

utf-8BSU1HMDA4OTMtMjAxMDA2MDUtMTAzM.jpg

I have never seen anyone use it before so I am sure there must be a reason why its not a good idea but I can't think of one!

Here are a few other piccies of Strawbs set up now its finished.

Inside the playhouse
utf-8BSU1HMDA4OTQtMjAxMDA2MDUtMTAzM.jpg

The attached run (part of it, its 10ft long)
utf-8BSU1HMDA5MDEtMjAxMDA2MDUtMTAzM.jpg

View through the cat flap
utf-8BSU1HMDA4OTUtMjAxMDA2MDUtMTAzM.jpg

and his fort (note he added his own back door!)
utf-8BSU1HMDA4OTctMjAxMDA2MDUtMTAzM.jpg

and finally the man himself having a geeky picture with my OH!
utf-8BSU1HMDA4OTEtMjAxMDA2MDQtMTQ0N.jpg

No-one got any ideas about the netting? I dont want to use it if its a bad idea for some reason.

It looks fine to me- the top hasn't got netting on so he seems to have enough light. What a lucky bunny!

ETA: You might want to cover the floor of the shed with something.

Last edited:
Ooh, it looks really good! I don't really know about the netting. I think the only problem would be if he could get to it to eat. It doesn't look very digestible! As it's on the outside of the run that hopefully won't be a problem.

I really like playhouse set ups. Might try saving up for one for my two for next year...

I can't see a problem with the netting either. If it keeps out pesky flies and helps keep it shady, it sounds great!

Nice set-up, looks like there is loads of space for him :D

The floor of the playhouse is covered with lino- it just looks like wood still.

He definately cant eat the netting- after he ate part of my pvc windowsill at the old house we are very careful about things he can eat!

Ooh, it looks really good! I don't really know about the netting. I think the only problem would be if he could get to it to eat. It doesn't look very digestible! As it's on the outside of the run that hopefully won't be a problem.

I really like playhouse set ups. Might try saving up for one for my two for next year...

They are much cheaper than a hutch! The one Strawbs has is 4ft square and was £99 from B&Q. I have another arriving this afternoon for Snowdrop thats 6ft by 4ft and is only £40 from my local reclamation yard.

No-one got any ideas about the netting? I dont want to use it if its a bad idea for some reason.

I use greenhouse shading on my set up (which that either is or is similar to). I think it's great as it lets the fresh air through but shades it. The stuff I have cuts out 50% of the light. As long as they can't chew it I can't see any problems with it.

I use greenhouse shading on my set up (which that either is or is similar to). I think it's great as it lets the fresh air through but shades it. The stuff I have cuts out 50% of the light. As long as they can't chew it I can't see any problems with it.

Thanks. I brought it initially to use to peg over the indoor pens at the old house to stop them, jumping out. I went to the garden centre today to get some more and it was £3.99 per metre (its 1.2m wide) so its fairly expensive if you want to cover a whole run with it.

Thanks. I brought it initially to use to peg over the indoor pens at the old house to stop them, jumping out. I went to the garden centre today to get some more and it was £3.99 per metre (its 1.2m wide) so its fairly expensive if you want to cover a whole run with it.

I'm lucky as we have a wholesale supplier of gardening stuff locally (LBS at Colne) who make poly tunnels but they sell huge off-cuts of useful stuff like that. I've got loads of polythene sheeting from there too. (Wish there was somewhere local that did playhouses for £40 though!!)

Back