• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail Clipping

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
Hi, I am taking Bentley to a show tomorrow, so I clipped his nails. I hate doing this because i've seen someone hit the quick in the nail with my dog, and I'd almost cry if I knew I caused my baby all that pain :cry: Whenever I do it, I am extremely careful and just nip off the very ends because I'm scared to get the quick. His front ones or light coloured so they are easier but the back ones are dark. Any suggestions, and how long it too long?

some buns have pale nails and you can see where the quick starts - it looks pinkish or darker, the nail held to the light is not transparent there. my buns have dark nails so i follow the tip i was given a while ago.

squeeze gently with the clippers before cutting. if the bun moves his foot, and gives you an outraged look, you were too far down!

have cornflour on hand to stem bleeding. but i've never made a bun bleed (yet) and i've been clipping for three years.

Also for the black ones either use a torch from below or do it in really good light as then the light goes through the claw but not through the quick if you see what I mean.

I have used the torch idea also, it does work if you have someone who can hold it in exactly the right place for you from underneath the rabbit's foot. The other thing is to take off a tiny slice, and keep taking off a slice until you see the 'core' of the nail change slightly. It is hard to describe but you kind of start to see the centre of the nail looking like there is a circle in the middle of it - this is the section just before the blood vessels.

i have just got some nail clippers and a nail file, i need to try and do this to my rabbit for the first time, im quite worried. I am gona try just filing them down at first. Im really worried though, but will be extra careful!

Anyone got any tips?

Back