• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Behavour prob

Hi, I have recently got a mummy rabbit and baby from a rabbit rehome, they are both settling really well to be honest obviously the baby is as easy as wink. Mum is a little bit harder and I wondered if any of your had any advice for me on this, she is a rabbit that has been kept by a breeder and then abandoned at a rehome. She is not keen at all on the whole picking up process and will make a noise like a chicken as soon as you go near the hutch, she will growl and get herself in a right old state when you go to pick her up, as soon as you have her in your arms she is fine and wil happily stay there for hours. Is there anything I can do to help her at all I am just trying to build her confidence in me at present. Also she has a ring on her leg that the breeder put on, the rehome said to leave it on do you think I should do that or get it taken off by the vet. Any advice gratefully received. Jane

Until she's really settled in I'd say don't try to pick her up.

I bought my eli from a terrible breeder that I've reported to the rspca, every time the woman picked him up she scruffed him and obviously as a result he absolutely hates being picked up, kicks and struggles like anything. If I need to pick him up (for instance to take him to the vet) I put his food straight in to a carrier and just shut it when he walks in. He's become so much more friendly and calm since he stopped being afraid that I'll try to pick him up.

I'd wait until you need to take her to the vet for jabs or something and then ask them to remove the ring. I imagine a trip to the vet will only stress her more at this point, I wouldn't want to do it unless it was essential.

I'd leave taking the ring off until you get her spayed. She will be under general anaesthetic then so it can be removed easily.

I'm sure she will get better with love and time.

Thanks for your replies, it is just going to take time I think, she is coming up an sniffing us now and we are allowed to touch her nose then she puts just enough space between you and her so she feels comfortable. Tonight I lay down in their outside run and she came up and sniffed me all over, so long as I did not try to stroke her. its just about confidience.

Poor lamb sounds as hormonal as anything!! A spey would really settle her down...and TLC.She will learn to trust you and know she wont come to harm or be bonked again by boy bunnies, bless her!!!

My buns hate to be picked up, but since they now get free-range of the whole garden instead of being carried to the run, they don't think I'm going to pick them up and are much more friendly. Also, if you've got a hutch that's low to the ground and you have to lean down to fuss/feed them, this might upset her too, because you're coming down from above. Since I moved my 2 into a double tier hutch where they are face to face with me when I kneel down and they are on the top level, they're much happier too.

I can pick mine up now, just about :roll:, but I don't tend to unless necessary.

Tonight I lay down in their outside run and she came up and sniffed me all over, so long as I did not try to stroke her. its just about confidience.

That's a good sign :D

xxx

Hi, welcome to RU! :wave:

Is she spayed yet? If not that's the first step in calming her down. Give her hormones a chance to settle before picking her up again (unless it's absolutely necessary, use treats to lure her where you want her to go, and train her to hop into the carrier when you have to move her any distance). Spend loads of time lying on the floor with them, let them come and sniff and jump on you. Hand feed them, talk softly and move calmly - you'll get there in the end!

Thanks for all your replies, the pet carrier has been a great idea, she will hop into it and I them put her in the run, she is coming around and is not nearly so bad as she was a month ago.

Back