• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do Giant French Lops live for?

Rabbitfan

Young Bun
A lady visited here yesterday to look for a pair of giant lops to adopt (I have got rather a lot of them at the moment!) but she said she wasn't interested in a particularly lovely pair because the doe is 2 and a half years old and they have a life span of 4 years! She said she got the information off the internet. I thought they had a normal rabbit lifespan, 6 to 9 years. What do other people think?

Lots of Ted's and Ruby's relatives have lived until they're 7.(But it can be only 4. :()

i was told four by a lady who had a lot of frenchies. she also said the most laid back, loving ones were prone to heart issues and wouldn't see four. she lost one which was like a daughter to her and although she had many more, she didn't really get over it. :(

Thanks for the replies. I'm really surprised and little upset that it seems to be between 4 and 5 years and not the 6 or 7 years that I hoped. :cry:

Anything between 5 to 6 is a good age for any giant rabbit but I have had a couple live till 7 to 8yrs.
Giants don't live as long as there is more strain on their organs.

If you need to make space then I can offer a couple of frenchies a home I have a spare kennel at the mo:D

Anything between 5 to 6 is a good age for any giant rabbit but I have had a couple live till 7 to 8yrs.

Does this count for New Zealand Whites as well? :( He was 4.19kg when last weighed a few weeks ago.

If you need to make space then I can offer a couple of frenchies a home I have a spare kennel at the mo:D

Thanks for the offer. I could do with moving some on! I've so many giant lops at the moment. Will pm you.

its my worst nightmare thinking my bunnies won't live that long. Noisette has been ill from day one and I hate to think she hasn't got long left with me. She will be three years old this August. She suffers every problem under the sun - added problem being a giant. Sounds awful but I don't expect her to live a full life... lets hope my gorgeous girl proves me wrong :love:

This giant lifespan thing always freaks me out. :oops: Thistle was 7kg's last time he was weighed and I'm sure he's got bigger since then... he's four and a half. :shock: Since I found out about his life expectancy, I've been tiptoeing about trying not to do anything to startle him. Taking him to the vet puts the fear of God in me. :oops: I really hope he's going to be an exception to the rule and live til he's... ohhh... at least twenty! :roll::lol:

I didn't know the larger breeds lived shorter lives, often with animals it seems to be the other way round, like elephants and whales! Does this means mini breeds will generally live the longest?

This giant lifespan thing always freaks me out. :oops: Thistle was 7kg's last time he was weighed and I'm sure he's got bigger since then... he's four and a half. :shock: Since I found out about his life expectancy, I've been tiptoeing about trying not to do anything to startle him. Taking him to the vet puts the fear of God in me. :oops: I really hope he's going to be an exception to the rule and live til he's... ohhh... at least twenty! :roll::lol:

I feel the same.......BB is around 6.5kg and just coming up to 5 years old.....I can't bear to think I could lose her soon:cry:

Back