• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winston has a tumour...Update 21 June

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Poor old Winny has just been diagnosed with a tumour on his gum. It's right at the corner of his mouth on his top gumline. It seems to be fast growing, and is interfering with his eating so he's either going to have to have it removed or be PTS :(

I'm really not sure what to do...

On one hand he's a very old rabbit and has glaucoma and arthritis, so is it fair to make him go through surgery to remove the tumour when it could grow back quickly, or the vet could find other tumours once he's under ga?

On the other hand, the tumour only appear to be joined to the gum by a small amount of tissue, and the mouth usually heals very quickly...so he could potentially get another few months of good quality life.

Anyone got any opinions, or been through anything similar?

Last edited:
:cry::cry::cry: Oh Amy I'm so sorry - poor old Winston.

I've not experienced anything similar, so have no advice - but wanted to send lots of vibes & nose rubs for your old fella xxx

I had Uncle Albert who developed a Fibrosarcoma in his mouth. Uncle A was about 8-9. I opted for surgery, he was a Dental Bun so needed regular treatment under GA anyway. It was only when the tumour was removed and sent for Histology that we obtained a definitive diagnosis. Fibrosarcomas are generally localised but they are fast growing and often recur.

When Uncle A needed another Dental, subsequent to his diagnosis, my Vet was able to measure the rate of tumour regrowth and give us some indication of when to call it a day. Uncle Albert got about another 5 months of good quality life (on permanent analgesia and abx).

So sorry. Sorry I have no advice, but sending vibes and thoughts for whatever you decide. Poor little Winston. x

Winston is at the vets today for surgery to remove the tumour. I'm worried sick that the vet will find more tumours or that he won't survive the GA.

I think he's going to need a lot of vibes if he's going to pull through today :cry:

Sending loads of positive easy op/no more tumours/quick recovery/no grey hairs for you vibes and keeping fingers and paws crossed too xxx

All the vibes in the world for Winston today....and some for you too.

I know it must be really scary and I totally feel for you - just try and keep thinking positively. Your own vibes for Winston will work the best. x

Winston is at the vets today for surgery to remove the tumour. I'm worried sick that the vet will find more tumours or that he won't survive the GA.

I think he's going to need a lot of vibes if he's going to pull through today :cry:

Everything tightly crossed for one of the most wonderful old chaps I've ever had the pleasure of caring for. Lots of love to you fluffy boy xx

Back