• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If one rabbit needs to go to the vet, do you take the other?

I just wondered whether you should always keep your rabbits together for a vet trip, even if it's just one that is ill?

After Reading so many posts of poorly buns lately, it got me thinking. What if the poorly one has to be kept in? What do you do with it's mate?

I always take the pair along, 'cos they smell different when you get home, which might cause problems, plus I think the sick one feels less stressed with the company (and mine seem to enjoy the trip out anyway :roll:)

only when they are newly bonded. in a few months i wont be taking both if only one is poorly. it never affected the bond between Alvin and Pearl seperating them for a few hours. even over night didnt cause trouble.

at the mo i would take Alvin and Holly together though as they havent been together very long yet.

If my vets admit a rabbit that isn't eating they won't admit the partner as they can't monitor input and output with another rabbit there, so I would only take one. It's also the case that if I took Tink and Roo in a carrier together and someone tried to grab Roo, Tink would probably attack them :shock: Also Roo is extremely nervous about car travel so if Tink was sick a nervous Roo would be no comfort to her. So in my case, only the sick one goes. They have done really well apart, 48 hours being the longest, Tink was grooming him frantically for ages when Roo came back to her :love::love:

All cases are different though, some rabbits can't cope with being separated and some vets would encourage them to be kept together.

everyone has different views, if i have a pair here for boarding and one if poorly, i take both, because i dont want to be responsible for the break up of a bond.

However, when its my own i dont. Jelly went with Peanut once and the vets called me to come and collect her, because she was stamping, biting the bars and was beating up peanut, she was so bored. As soon as she got home she flopped out and didnt care. When he came back a day later, she was so happy to see him, but...she didnt sppear to "miss him" when he was gone.

Now i have a trio it isnt practical, so i still only take the one bunny who is going. My vets are undertsnaing though, Jelly wouldnt eat after her dental and they wanted to keep her overnight, and she wouldnt be allowed home until she had eaten.

I told them once she saw her friends she would eat, so they let me take her home at 4pm, on the promise she would be back if she didnt eat. I literally opened the carrier, she ran to them, i chucked in some greens and she ate with them.

theres alot of exceptions to the rule, and i dont think theres any right or wrong solution.

:)

It depends on the rabbits.

This week Badger was kept in and Rosie stayed with him. However, Rosie is going to the vets today, but Badger is not well enough to travel. He will only come if we decide enough is enough today.

I also never used to take Roger when Summer went because he couldn't cope with it, but now Roger is bonded with Sandy, I think I will have to take them as a pair.

I never separate any of the others though. I would only seriously consider separating for a valid reason (like illness in the remaining bunny, behavioural problems, and if the bunny going needed to be PTS).

I have a trio and they all go together most of the time, but their moods change with the season so often it depends on who is ill and who is alpha rabbit at the time, as some combinations mean a falling out is very unlikely.

I took both with Mini and Mischa cos they are so closely bonded they do miss each other when the other isn't around.

If I bond a four I have no idea what I'm going to do. I suppose I'll have to take all four in a cage on the back seat and then just take the one who needs seeing in? Will cross that bridge when it comes to it I guess!

Every owner knows their own buns the best (usually based on experience with each pair/group) to know whether or not they can be separated for vet visits :wave:

I always take them both, they keep each other calm as they panic and get more stressed without the other, and my vets are happy with keeping them in together for things. Mind you though, my two also prefer to squish themselves into a single carrier rather than riding seperatly too, so I think they are permenantly glued at the hip :lol:

I take both.

Inca went with Herbie last week when he was getting his teeth out. The vet said that she was trying to protect him when they went to get him.....then when he came back all drowsy she sat and cleaned him up.

I take both for check ups etc (although their jabs are timed so they're both done together anyway) and if one is ill, both go to the vets. Only one usually stays though - when Alfie dislocated his ankle I brought Bubbles home with me and they were reunited 4 days later, with no problems.

When Hayden was ill Dudley went with her on all her vet trips except when she was going for a quick check up. He stayed with her overnight. But then again I nursed her at home when I wasn't working. The nurses at FHB weren't too happy when I wanted to take Dudley with her for surgery but I think even if they can't be in the same cage it is important to see each other. I believe Dudley was Hayden's rock when she was ill so wouldn't have had it any other way. Dudley was really good and didn't seem to get stressed at all so. It does depend on the rabbits though but I would keep them together if possible.
I think of how I would feel if I was ill and in hospital with no visitors or familiar faces and it wouldn't be nice so I believe company when possible is a must.

I always take Merlin and Wesley together but I don't do the same with Frankie and Kassy as she nips him when in there and if it is him going it stresses him out.

I would always advocate taking both. I even take my trio together.

Helps with stress levels - buns like the company.

Prevents issues with bunnies coming home and smelling different - bit like us coming home from a visit (no matter how small) at a hospital - we smell like hospitals.

Once bonded, I don't believe there are any but the most extraordinary situations, where they should be apart.

For me it depends on the pairing.

With Pickle and Pootle I would take them both as both are quite feisty and territorial and know it would cause problems afterwards.

When Twinkle goes to the vets I take her alone for two reasons...

1. Sparkle tolerates her being away and welcomes her back
2. Sparkle gets scared in a travel box and would end up stamping all over Twinkle (who was ill anyway) which is not good.

So I think it depends on the bunnies..

When Rocket had eye problems I took China to every appointment because Rocket is a nervous bunny. When Miffy had to stay overnight I didn't take Miles because the vets wanted to be able to see when she was eating/pooping on her own, but if I'd been able to I would have done. However it never caused problems with re-bonding despite Miffy needing to be there for 3 days, and Miles and Miffy are the closest pair I have.

AMETHYST

not that i have much experience but mine will remain together now even for just short trips to the vets.

jasmine went for her spay last week and steve went along, there was never any question that he would stay at home. they housed them in a dog kennel so he didnt get bored whilst she was in for the op and moved them to a cage afterwards.

he also went with her for her two check ups. i really really dont want to seperate them and risk having to re-bond them.

Back