• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny coming tomorrow

I am taking on a new rabbit from tomorrow for a lasy who is now unable to look after him. I have lots of space outside, his hutch is provided etc and I will build him a run in the garden. I'd like to bring him indoors to live in the colder months and wondered how easy it would be to litter train him and how to go about this. He's about 18 months old and apparently only goes in one small area of his hutch so he seems very clean.

I'd be grateful of any advice.

Hi, how exciting!! good luck for tomorrow - of course we will need pics!!! ;)

I'm not sure how much advice I can give re litter training since our rabbits were already litter trained before we got them. However there have been a few poo accidents but no wee accidents. We do find the odd poo here and there all the time but it is never very much and of course they are solid so really easy to just pick up.

I think the best way to go about it is put several litter trays out first of all and put hay on top of the litter (megazorb or carefresh or something similar), to encourage them to go in it. They are clean animals so wont just go anywhere (generally speaking). If they wee somewhere you dont want to, you could either place their litter tray there, or mop it up with kitchen towel and put that in to the litter tray. Once it has their scent in it they will always use it. For this reason dont overclean the litter tray at the beginning to keep their scent in it a bit.

A really useful book for this kind of stuff is Living with a Houserabbit, by Dykes and Flack, which has lots of general info too.

:wave:

Was just going to say as well that when you litter train indoors you might want to put some lino or plastic sheeting down just until you are confident he/she is litter trained. Just a thought - as I say we havent had to do it from scratch.

Thank you so much for that. I am very excited, no sleep last night lol.

I have a nice space planned for him outside but can't bear the idea of him getting cold in the winter. Would like to have him hopping around my house then.

Thanks again.

I am taking on a new rabbit from tomorrow for a lasy who is now unable to look after him. I have lots of space outside, his hutch is provided etc and I will build him a run in the garden. I'd like to bring him indoors to live in the colder months and wondered how easy it would be to litter train him and how to go about this. He's about 18 months old and apparently only goes in one small area of his hutch so he seems very clean.

I'd be grateful of any advice.

Oh how exciting! I didn't sleep a wink before we got our buns!

Was that a Freudian slip ... or just a typo?? :lol: :lol:

lovely

Maybe put some of his poos in the litter tray in advance, and even a bit of wee-soaked litter, so the smell helps him get the idea fixed. Our buns are outdoor, but we do this if using a new hutch, and it seems to work.

I've seen on here that over-sized litter trays work best for indoor buns.

Good luck.

Maybe put some of his poos in the litter tray in advance, and even a bit of wee-soaked litter, so the smell helps him get the idea fixed. Our buns are outdoor, but we do this if using a new hutch, and it seems to work.

I've seen on here that over-sized litter trays work best for indoor buns.

Good luck.

Got quite a few spare litter trays as I have loads of cats, all of whom now use the catflap. The bunny is used to cats apparently and he's a big bunny so the cats won't stand a chance. I'll keep them separated for a while until I know he can hold his own though.

If he is already using one part of his hutch then i would expect him to be very easy to litter train. Put a litter tray in that corner and see how he goes.

Awww, how lovely! :D You're about to fall in love and go completely loopy, I warn you! :lol: I agree we need pictures as soon as.

I don't have much to add, except to ask how big his hutch is? It needs to be at least 6ft single, or 5ft double in order for him to be happy, and long term he'll need a shed or a large attached run - buns need heaps of execise!! Also, when he's settled in and you've had a chance to adjust, perhaps you could adopt him a wifey bun? Rabbits would naturally live in large groups so it's important he has somebun to snuggle, play with, groom and 'talk' to. Nothing quite so cute as watching 2 buns interact anyway. :love:

Good luck getting him settled anyway, and if you've any questions, just ask!

Back