• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset and devastated - another jaw abcess bun

sgprescue

Mama Doe
This is becoming really hard for me in so many ways :cry:. About a month ago we had to have little timmy put to sleep because he developed an abcess on his lower jaw after having his incisors removed, I nursed him for 3 weeks but it got so bad it split his jaw so we had to say goodbye :cry:. If that wasn't bad enough on Wednesday I went in to feed the bunnies as usual and Blossom didn't come running over like she normally does. I found her in the run (they have a run attached to their shed) breathing heavily and dribbling :cry:. I rushed her straight to the vets where they found a lump on her lower jaw :cry:. I panicked as not only do I know how potentially bad this is but my usual vet wasn't there and the one I saw insisted on giving her baytril :evil:. I called yesterday morning and thankfully my usual vet (who is amazing with the bunnies) was in theatre all day so he sorted Blossom out for me. He had to remove one of her lower incisors as the lump was an abcess on the tooth rooth, he also had to bur away part of the jaw bone as it had already penetrated the bone, then he found another abcess on her upper jaw :cry::cry::cry:. He has put her on a really high dose of penicillin and pain killers but the prognosis is not good :cry::cry::cry:. I am syringe feeding her but she doesn't look great right now. How can I be so unlucky to have 2 bunnies with jaw abcesses within a month??????? I feel really rubbish right now as I don't have that many bunnies left now and this is ripping me apart :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

:( I know how you feel as i've lost two bunnies to jaw abscesses now. I know it's heart breaking but all we can do is give our rabbits the best life possible while they are with us and accept that one day we will have to say goodbye to them. It does seem very sad that rabbits seem prone to these abscesses.

I hope Blossom gets better. You are doing everything you can for her and i'm sure that she knows you are trying to help her. My first rabbit Hobbes definitely seemed to know that I was trying to make him better as he was so good when we cleaned out the abscess and gave him his injections. It was a horrible when he suddenly died but at least i know i gave him the very best treatment i could but it was his time to go :cry:

*huuuugggggggsssss*

ive always felt ive lucked out getting a stasis bun and a heart bun as my 2 very first ever bunnies and on really bad days ive wished i never found bunny love.

but then on other days i am thankful they found me because atleast they get the very best care and ill fight till thier last breath for them which may not of happened elsewhere.

your bunnies are lucky they found you even though they are unlucky enough to get poorly :(:(

me too

sending you loads of hugs! had the same thing and was devestated to lose my bunster to this horrible illness. as long as you are doing all you can dont feel bad! sending loads of get well vibes!

Back