• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vets that give antibiotics to statis buns!

Mazda

Warren Veteran
:(

Not me personally, but a friend on my msn. Who i met on a nother rabbit forum.

She said, she was given no pain relief, and n o gut stimulant, nothing. Just antibiotics....

Now... the rabbit is dead. Because it wouldnt eat.

:cry:

R.I.P Boy. x

Sometimes giving antibiotics is clinically appropriate, especially if the vet suspects an underlying infection triggering the pain and stasis.

However, my buns have never received them for stasis, but if they had an underlying infection or one strongly suspected then it is obviously sensible. It depends on the case. Most cases of stasis however do not need them.
It is completely unethical in my book not to provide pain relief though, that is negligent IMO. :cry: Fluids are also essential if bun hasn't been eating for many hours.

it fustrates me SO SO much!! :cry:
I feel so lucky that my vets do give pain relief gut stimulant. and they *listen* to me.... even though im young! They know how much i care, and how much i acteully know... cause ive learnt if off this forum!!

the first couple of times Alvin was given antibiotics incase he had infection. they don't bother now its down on his notes how many episodes hes had and is classed as prone.

im sorry the bunny died, seems to be a lot going to the bridge even with the right treatment this last month :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Clo is give antibiotics when he has statis, but that's along with pain relief and gut stimulant. Blackie didn't have the antibiotics, but had the other treatment. And all were advised with syringe feeding, but thankfully the other meds worked so quickly I didn't have to do much of that.

Back