• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A very worried bunny mummy -UPDATE - Mittens has exciting news & new photos post 150

kaths101

Warren Veteran
A very worried bunny mummy -UPDATE - Mittens has exciting news & new photos post 150

I had to take Mittens to the vets today :cry::cry:- when I got up she wasnt intersted in her veg while the other 3 tucked in. I had to rush to work this morning (very worried) and OH kept an eye on her. He rang me at lunch time to say she still hadnt eaten - so I took her to the vets though they couldnt see her until this afternoon.

He said he could feel a mass in her stomach - either an impaction of food or an enlarged spleen??? What are the repercussions of an enlarged spleen :?

Anyway I brought her home with pain relief, recovery and he gave her a gut stimulent - they were going to admit her but they were just shutting and no-one was staying the night so I decided to bring her home and look after her myself - I hope that was the right decison! I am taking her back at 8am tomorrow morning.

Also Im worried as my group recently bonded had started to get on really well and the last 3-4 days there has been no nipping or chasing at all - and now this :cry::cry: the vet advised to seperate her to see if she poos - so I have though I have put her next to the other 3 in their NIC cubes - do you think this was the right decison???? Im so worried about putting them back together now and going back to square one! :cry:

Mittens needs some eating and pooing vibes OR Non enlarged spleen vibes pleeease.

Last edited:
Poor girl :cry:

Did she have some fluid therapy ?

I think that unless you can sit and observe her all the time you do need to separate her from the group. As she is poorly and already low down in the hierarchy she may get bullied by the others.

Loads of vibes for Mitten's. Waffle sends loads of vibes too and says nom and poop.

Seperating her was the right thing to do as you need to keep a very close eye on whether she poops or not.

If her temperature was low I would give her a heatpad to sit of if she feels chilly.

Poor girl :cry:

Did she have some fluid therapy ?

I think that unless you can sit and observe her all the time you do need to separate her from the group. As she is poorly and already low down in the hierarchy she may get bullied by the others.

Im not sure if she had fluids :? it all goes out of my head as I was stressing.. but he did say they would admit her in the morning for fluids etc if she still hasnt eaten - should she have had fluids?
Anything I can do tonight?

She is seperated as I was worried as well about her getting more stressed etc if they decided to start chasing her again..
My poor girl is just sat in her litter tray :cry:

Loads of vibes for Mitten's. Waffle sends loads of vibes too and says nom and poop.

Seperating her was the right thing to do as you need to keep a very close eye on whether she poops or not.

If her temperature was low I would give her a heatpad to sit of if she feels chilly.

Fanks waffle xx

Yes its very hard to tell whos poo'd and who hasnt out of the four of them so seperating her is the only way to know for sure.. no poops yet!!

Im just doing her snugglesafe - he said to keep her warm as her ears and nose felt cold :cry: her temp was 101 which he said was ok but she still felt cold to the touch..

Thanks everyone else for the vibes xxxx

:( Sorry to hear that Kath, try not to get too stressed yet, I wouldn't syringe her at all unless a vet has advised, if she is obstructed it will do more harm than good, just offer some cooled boiled water in a bowl, lots of hay, some favourite herbs and maybe some mashed pellets but, I wouldn't force her with anything, I would actually leave her to rest for a while aswell, I know it's hard but, she does need time to heal herself aswell as we do and if your stressed it will show. Fingers crossed it will resolve by morning for you, if she is safe and warm and has all she needs in easy reach I would try to relax and be 'normal' and if no improvement take her to a good vet first thing for fluids and xrays. Fingers crossed it won't come to that xxx

if it was me and Alvin *shudders* i would be attempting 10-20ml of water, making him move and annoying him with food every two hours, i cant syringe feed its too hard to fight that battle, but thats why he gets admitted for the day and home at night :oops::oops:

im terrified of stasis and i really hope your angel picks up soon xxxx

:( Sorry to hear that Kath, try not to get too stressed yet, I wouldn't syringe her at all unless a vet has advised, if she is obstructed it will do more harm than good

Good point! I'm so sorry I didn't think of that, I've been syringing so long my head is not right! :oops:

Fanks waffle xx

Yes its very hard to tell whos poo'd and who hasnt out of the four of them so seperating her is the only way to know for sure.. no poops yet!!

Im just doing her snugglesafe - he said to keep her warm as her ears and nose felt cold :cry: her temp was 101 which he said was ok but she still felt cold to the touch..

Thanks everyone else for the vibes xxxx

You could try massaging her tummy too if she will let you. I also tried to keep Waffle moving and it seemed to help.

Herbs and things are good for getting there appetite going too.

Good point! I'm so sorry, I've been syringing so long my head is not right! :oops:

No worries at all, I know where your coming from but, it might be stassis for another reason - I know we think our bunnies are dim but, I am not convinced, I think sometimes they know better than we think they do. I have had stassis twice now with one of mine and what I have learnt is not syringe anything till a vet has checked for obstruction. Based on what the vet has told Kath I would say it would be better to not force anything yet.:wave:

You could try massaging her tummy too if she will let you. I also tried to keep Waffle moving and it seemed to help.

Herbs and things are good for getting there appetite going too.

This has already been diagnosed a mass being felt though so I don't think the rules for stassis would apply, it may make things worse or cause pain.

Back