• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Hutches for giants....

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Can anyone give me a rough idea how big a hutch I would need for 2 giant rabbits - 6kgs each. I can't have a double tier because of joint problems and a shed is not an option - too unsightly and more difficult to transport. I don't want to hutch them but if we get a problem again I might have to consider buying one :(:(

Oh gosh........

Oscar who is no where near as big as your guys lives in my 7x2x2

Whats happened? :(

Oh gosh........

Oscar who is no where near as big as your guys lives in my 7x2x2

Whats happened? :(

Our house overlooks some flats and one of the people who lives in the flats has just popped over to say that he caught some chavs jumping over our fence and jumping on top of top of the rabbits enclosure last night at about 2am. The enclosure has plastic corrugated sheets on top which are supported by wooden beams and some of them have cracked. I am really worried about the buns now, can't imagine how scared they must have been. They are fine now but I am worried if these chavs are going to return. Don't care about damage, just care about my rabbits :(

Ryedale will make any size you want. I have a 7x2ft one, but I'm sure he'd make an 8ft, or make it 3ft wide.

What a horrible thing for them to do!! :evil:

Ryedale will make any size you want. I have a 7x2ft one, but I'm sure he'd make an 8ft, or make it 3ft wide.

What a horrible thing for them to do!! :evil:

Yeah I know its awful :( I am really worried for them now, might do a Mylene Klass and run out with a knife to scare them if they return :lol::lol:

Rydale are fantastic hutches, but would 8x3 be sufficient for two giants? It would literally only be for night time and nothing else though. How much did your 7x2 cost you?

My dad says i'm over reacting at the moment but I can't help but worry :(

Yeah I know its awful :( I am really worried for them now, might do a Mylene Klass and run out with a knife to scare them if they return :lol::lol:

Rydale are fantastic hutches, but would 8x3 be sufficient for two giants? It would literally only be for night time and nothing else though. How much did your 7x2 cost you?

My dad says i'm over reacting at the moment but I can't help but worry :(

Of course it'll be big enough for overnight! ;) I'm not sure you realise just how bit that is! :lol: Mine cost £300ish for that. They'll last you forever though, even just as a base. :)

I always thought hutches wouldn't be ok for giant buns hun? Would they not also need more headspace, like maybe double the usual recommendations?

I might be wrong, I am only going on what I think I have seen posted on here before

I know someone with two giant bunnies in a playhouse, its not as big as a shed but its bigger than most playhouses I have seen and they have a run coming off the side of it too

thanks Ali, but jeeeeez £300 is a lot! :shock: I guess its the quality at the end of it and they do look amazing quality.

How is a hutch going to resolve things?
Can't you get a new roof?

because its safer? Chavs don't have easier access to a hutch than the enclosure. Its not about getting a new roof its about the safety of the rabbits that concerns me, but the roof is going to be fixed up.

I always thought hutches wouldn't be ok for giant buns hun? Would they not also need more headspace, like maybe double the usual recommendations?

I might be wrong, I am only going on what I think I have seen posted on here before

I know someone with two giant bunnies in a playhouse, its not as big as a shed but its bigger than most playhouses I have seen and they have a run coming off the side of it too

My giants aren't really massive giants, they are both on the smaller end of giant, but the bigger the better. They are in a 15x4ft walk in enclosure so it would be a shame to lose the space they have because it is huge! I did not think of a playhouse actually.... I will have to have a look. The local garden centre always has ex displays/discounted ones so I will have to see what is there.

Its something I am only considering though for the future as this has just shook me up I guess. Our neighbour said if anything happens again he will be straight over. Just really hoping nothing like this happens again but its human nature for me to worry :lol: I have just re done everything in their enclosure as well and layed down turf! Typical isn't it!!

Definitely have a look, the one my friend has is a lot bigger than a large hutch would be and doesn't look too huge in the garden because its not as high as sheds are. Also I would think it would work out cheaper than a custom made hutch

Rydale are great, I have a 6ft double from them but even with another 2ft on it I personally wouldn't put giants in one without a permanent run attached

Also do you have any lights in your garden? I have spotlights above mine and so if anyone went near the hutch at night the light goes on. It might be enough to make someone think twice about messing about in your garden if a light comes on. I got really cheap ones, I think they were about £10 each and my brother set them up for me

Also do you have any lights in your garden? I have spotlights above mine and so if anyone went near the hutch at night the light goes on. It might be enough to make someone think twice about messing about in your garden if a light comes on. I got really cheap ones, I think they were about £10 each and my brother set them up for me
I have lights and also cctv.:D

I have lights and also cctv.:D

CCTV is a good idea also if you are very worried, to be honest our garden is quite secure and only neighbors have access to it but it does put my mind at rest knowing lights will come on if anyone goes near the hutches. Especially since having trouble with one neighbor

yep, lights were definitely on the agenda, but I have to wait until next pay day to buy them! The ones I was looking at were solar lights and were £7.99 from Focus. If I could afford CCTV I would get it installed that would be brilliant! Just really hoping nothing happens again. At least I have my neighbours back on this and they are watching out in that sense.

thanks all for the suggestions, I will keep them in mind and play it by ear now :wave:

Urgh, don't you just love chavs. :roll:

I'm not sure what size hutch you'd need really. I think if I had to get Thistle something other than his shed I'd get him a playhouse. I got one of these - http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1275592888493&isSearch=false - for my smaller buns and I think this would be big enough for Thistle with a big run. I wired over the porch bit so it works out as roughly 7X5 foot.

I have to admit though, rather than buying a hutch I think I'd use the money to up security (movement activated lights are a brilliant idea! Really bright ones ;)) and maybe build a stronger roof on the enclosure so if some idiot chavs did decide to get up there again, the roof wouldn't buckle or fall down. After all, if you get a hutch or a playhouse, what's to say they won't go and p*** about on the roof of that as well? :|

yep, lights were definitely on the agenda, but I have to wait until next pay day to buy them! The ones I was looking at were solar lights and were £7.99 from Focus.

To be honest I wouldn't waste your money on cheap solar lights. I prepare to stand corrected by someone that's found some good ones (fingers crossed!) but I have never found solar lights to be anything other than utterly hopeless. You might as well shine a barbie doll torch around for all the light they give off for anything other than a really limited amount of time after a really bright sunny day.

I really hope this was just an unfortunate one-off. It might even be cheaper than a hutch to reinforce the inside of the enclosure with that absolutely rock solid cage mesh that they use for things like LGP enclosures. Good luck x

I agree with comments about solar lights. My parents used to have a movement activated light that also set a chime off indoors- would go off bout once a night just from cats etc but night be useful for you. Also, how about phoning police- a friend did this when chavs were hanging around her street and they were really good and used to patrol area and move loitering kids on (am sure some most were harmless but she was bothered by noise/ litter/ bad language etc). Could you attach bard wire or that horrible sticky stuff they use as anti-climbing paint? Not sure how legal any of that is mind but I used to live in a rough area when I was a student and most people had smashed bottles cemented on top of wall to keep people out of their yards- again- extreme and possibly not legal but I have to say that like you I'd be worried as roof could have collapsed on rabbits. Some people just aren't worthy of the air they breath!:roll:

I agree with solar lights being rubbish!

Just get a security light. Ours was only about £5 from homebase I think

To be honest I wouldn't waste your money on cheap solar lights. I prepare to stand corrected by someone that's found some good ones (fingers crossed!) but I have never found solar lights to be anything other than utterly hopeless. You might as well shine a barbie doll torch around for all the light they give off for anything other than a really limited amount of time after a really bright sunny day.

I really hope this was just an unfortunate one-off. It might even be cheaper than a hutch to reinforce the inside of the enclosure with that absolutely rock solid cage mesh that they use for things like LGP enclosures. Good luck x

Yeah I actually tried solar lights first and they didn't really work as well as I wanted them to, so I got the security lights and they were just as cheap as the first lot of solar ones I had

Back