• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD Vaccination Lapinject

Lavinia

Young Bun
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there was anyone on here in the know, or who would be able to help and offer advice.

I was at my vets today getting my two rabbits their myxo boosters, I have read all about the cylap side affects etc and so asked what VHD vaccination jab they used, to which they replied Cylap. So I asked about the possibility of ordering in Lapinject for me. The vet said they would ask the boss.

I have just had a phone call and they say that if I want lapinject that I will have to pay for the wasted product, fair enough.
I have been told that it will be £15 for each rabbit, I have 2. They have then calculated that there would be £8.62 of waste product. So they are wanting me to pay £38.62 for both my rabbits to be vaccinated.
Does this seem fair?
I have heard that Lapinject is actually cheaper to buy that Cylap anyway, so if that is true are my vets just trying to get extra money from me?

If anyone could help me out that would be great. I would pay whatever for my animals, I just don't want to be ripped off when the vets have made a mint out of me over the years with all my animals.

I think the 5 dose vial of lapinject is only a couple of punds more expensive than 1 dose of cylap but to be honest I'd happily pay a bit extra to use it. You are still paying less than £20 per bun, I'm sure some members on RU pay a lot more for vacs.

I recently had three bunnies vaccinated for VHD and the first cost £25 and the second (discounted for subsequent bunnies) was £12.50, so that's not a great deal different to what you are paying. I'd say you have got a good deal.

I'm not sure abut whether Cylap or Lapinject are cheaper but they have to use the Lapinject all in the same day so the rest would be wasted, that's *probably* not the case if they used Cylap. I think your vets are brilliant. My local vets wouldn't order Lapinject in for one bunny last year.

Edit to add: I remember reading on the forum last year someone's vet wanting to charge them something silly like £80 for one Lapinject injection as they were charging x 5 including all the injection/consultation fees etc :roll:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure that's why I thought I would ask on here, you are all very knowledgeable. :D
To be honest I don't think they are happy about doing it. All the people I have spoke to are trying to tell me there is nothing wrong with cylap and I shouldn't bother, but at least they will order it in for me.

Edit to add: I remember reading on the forum last year someone's vet wanting to charge them something silly like £80 for one Lapinject injection as they were charging x 5 including all the injection/consultation fees etc :roll:

Oh dear :roll:, well that shines a new light on my vets then!

All the people I have spoke to are trying to tell me there is nothing wrong with cylap and I shouldn't bother

Go to English Rabbit . org and print of the report on Cylap reaction to give to your vet.

Also if you look on noahs compendium it actually says on the data sheet there are side effects.

Go to English Rabbit . org and print of the report on Cylap reaction to give to your vet.

Also if you look on noahs compendium it actually says on the data sheet there are side effects.

Yep I had already done that. It seems they are just judging it on the reactions they have seen in there surgery.

I have rang them up anyway and said that that price will be fine.
Thanks for all the help :D

I don't know whether it'd be possible, but there might be a rescue near you who could use the rest of the vial? That would stop it being wasted anyway, and they may contribute towards the cost.

That is a great idea, i have no idea if there is a rescue near me though, I am at Chesterfield in Derbyshire.

Back