• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unbonded buns in same room

weedug

Mama Doe
I have Mr Bubble as a house bun, and am thinking of keeping Honey as a house bun too.

I'm wondering how it would work out if I had the 2 cages in the one room, but obviously they wouldn't both be out at the same time. Honey spends quite a while in the run outside anyway.

Would it be ok to try? I don't want to stress them too much.

I have five bunnies who live in my room in a large NIC cage. Three singles and a pair. Four males and a female. All the males would actually fight to the death if I gave them a chance, but with boundaries and uderstanding their territory they are pretty happy. We get binkies and bunny 500s and stuff. They even lie next to each other between the divides. Its just a case of making sure that they can't access each other at all (for mine that is making sure all the mesh is too small for paws or nails or teeth to get through).

They may take a while to settle and any area where they may both run (but obviously at different times) would probably become a poo fest. My carpet was purple, but now its purple with staining from wees that I can't get out.

This doesn't work for all pairs or groups of rabbits though and can cause scraps. I know yours are single, just wanted to say that for anyone who might be reading :)

it would depend on the bunnies. My rabbits are fine in runs next to each other and have been from the start but I've heard of rabbits getting really wound up.

What's stopping you bonding them?

it would depend on the bunnies. My rabbits are fine in runs next to each other and have been from the start but I've heard of rabbits getting really wound up.

What's stopping you bonding them?

Because Honey isn't spayed yet. And she was badly attacked by another rabbit before we got her.

Don't mind the poos. I've got laminate so it's easy to clean, but I do need to get some rugs as Mr Bubble can slip around everywhere :lol:

I have 9 bunnies all within viewing/smelling distance of each other and never had a problem with refered aggression or any single buns getting wound up.

I have a single and a pair in my room. They get on fine. Honey lays by their pen staring at them sometimes. It is such a shame as she gets on great with Merlin but Wesley doesn't like her. He only tolerates her when it is veg box time where they all share the same veg box.

I think that it would be fine as long as they cant get to each other to bite ect you should maybe start off slowly by letting them get used to each others smell for example bring him in for a few hours a day at first and then extend the time so that it doesnt stress her out too much? and if your going to bond them when she is spayed then by letting them get used to each others smell being around and by letting them become comfortable with each other around then it should make bonding easier :D:D
My two have been living next to each other for a few months now and love each other! they try to give each other kisses through the bars and trev will rather eat baileys hay than eat on his own :lol::love::love:

I had two single house bunnies for years (they are now outside buns :() because whenever I tried to bond them they would fight like cat and dog. I did manage to get them to tolerate each other but then my ex let them both out in the living room when I was at work and all hell broke loose. :evil:

So in the end they had to stay as seperate bunnies. Caused no probs at all apart from Joey peeing beside Skye when she was in her cage. Skye would go and lie along side Joey when he was in his.

ETA: Skye was in the living room and Joey was in the hallway most of the time, so as long as they have sufficient 'out the cage' time then I think it can work.

Last edited:
Because Honey isn't spayed yet. And she was badly attacked by another rabbit before we got her.

maybe it would be worth a try when she's fixed? If you take it slowly and watch them carefully she won't be harmed. I'm sure they'd both love having a friend to snuggle up to. :)
I'd put their cages near to each other until she's spayed and see their initial reactions on each other.

maybe it would be worth a try when she's fixed? If you take it slowly and watch them carefully she won't be harmed. I'm sure they'd both love having a friend to snuggle up to. :)
I'd put their cages near to each other until she's spayed and see their initial reactions on each other.

I agree with this you never know it could be love at first sight with them both...I had a rabbit who i thought( Rowan ) wouldn't bond with other rabbits well sshe is now living in a group with six others and well yeah she is top doe but the rest puts her in her place when she gets out of line or starts bullying the others

Back