• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fresh Rabbit for the pot!

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
Just come back from the stables and saw this attached to a lamp post at the end of the road :shock:

03062010142.jpg

The farm shop where I collect my hay and A&P always advertises rabbit. There are a lot of wild rabbits in the area.

Aww. If it's any consolation (which, well, it isn't) it'll be wild rabbits, not domestics.

presumably (hopefully) wildies he has shot...still awful, but the alternative is he's just gonna give you his live pet rabbit....either way, [admin edit - comment removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that the wonderful "backyard breeders" don't see this as another opportunity to dispose of their "unwanted stock".:shock:

"Free to good home" takes on an entirely new meaning.

Perhaps their new slogan will be, "Buy a pet, now eat the rest of the family".:evil:

Yes I assumed (hoped) it is wildies that have been killed quickly & had a happy life before. Being a strict veggie the thought of it is still horrible to me but I'm not generally opposed to people eating meat unless it's been factory farmed etc (my OH is a meat eater) and I don't preach to others about being a vege. I was just shocked to see it although now I think about it I'm not sure why :oops::roll: ...and yes I think it was the "free" bit that I found strange :?

I hope that the wonderful "backyard breeders" don't see this as another opportunity to dispose of their "unwanted stock".:shock:

"Free to good home" takes on an entirely new meaning.

Perhaps their new slogan will be, "Buy a pet, now eat the rest of the family".:evil:

I'm fairly sure the woman I got my Eli from is going to munch on any that she doesn't sell. :(
Hopefully the rspca will get their arses in to gear soon.

I've been watching "Great British Menu" (or at least mu mum has when I've gotten home from work) and they keep cooking rabbit... I'm like "turn the tv off..." Thursday is desert night, so should be safe to watch today!

Hannah

There are perfectly legal and legitmate explanations. Jumping to conclusions and then suggesting you to ring someone to harras them just because you disagree with a few words posted on a sign is not appropriate.

There are perfectly legal and legitmate explanations. Jumping to conclusions and then suggesting you to ring someone to harras them just because you disagree with a few words posted on a sign is not appropriate.

I'm sure you're right Tamsin, which is why I wouldn't dream of calling the number and I certainly wouldn't harras the person involved (although to be fair the other forum member didn't actually suggest the latter). As my earlier post said, I assumed it was someone giving away wildies which, as you say is perfectly legal. I just found the poster a bit odd!

i dont see a problem with this its no different to eating beef, chicken, lamb or any other meat people have been eating rabbit alot longer than keeping them as pets ;)

i dont see a problem with this its no different to eating beef, chicken, lamb or any other meat people have been eating rabbit alot longer than keeping them as pets ;)

No I don't have a problem with it either (although as I said I'm vege so yuk no thanks from me :lol:) I was just a bit taken aback to see it on a sign stuck on the side of the road and for free! Seemed a bit strange but maybe it's me who's strange :lol: (apart from the fact that I believe it's illegal to put signs/posters up like that without permission from the highways/council or similar :roll:;)

I think it's the giving away free meat and laminating the poster (suggesting they'll have a good supply) that's confusing!

Back