• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bu**er - injecting bunny

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
I have just tried been to inject Alice with her antib and put it straight through her scruff :censored:

What should I do - wait until tomorrows or try and give her another.

Humph!

Oh no - been there, done that more than once :lol: Whenever I've done that, if I have another, I've tried again so that the bun gets continuity of treatment. Just ring the surgery in the morning and tell them what's happened and ask for another one.

Two little tips that helped me - when you pinch the scruff, I found it helps to use your index finger to push inwards to make a little divot to guide the needle into. Makes it far easier to see where it's going and prevent it from getting right through.

Second, once the needle is in, just draw back slightly on the syringe. If it's in the right place (and not in a blood vessel), it should be a vacuum and the syringe should suck itself back in to where it was before. If it sucks up a load of air you know you're not in and will need to withdraw and reset the needle.

Good luck :wave:

oh yes, I know the feeling too, don't feel too disheartened about it, I think we have all been there... I have put the needle in for it to come out the other side and baytril to spray all over the table and me :oops: You will get better at it! I agree with Santa though, try her suggestions, its the best way to do it!

Make sure you don't inject the same area too much though, it can become bruised and become a little sore! :wave:

Thanks guys will give it another go. I think I kinda rush it as I have to do it when she is eating otherwise she won't let me anywhere near her and so I try and get it in before she finishes.

Thanks

Have you tried sitting her on your lap? It sounds totally counter-intuitive and I only tried it as a last resort but it's another thing that I found helped. Previously I'd been putting Santa on the worktop and trying to do it quick before she ran off, but I found that with her on my lap, I could get right over her and sort it all out smoothly and easily without her being able to run off. Might be worth a try. Good luck x

Nope she would go absolutely nuts. She is the worst out of every bunny I have and even the vets are shocked at how much she kicks out when they pick ger up to weigh her etc. She is also a 3.5 kg standard rex I don't want to mess with her especially when I have gain her trust over the last few weeks.

Back