• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed snake on the lose

Collielover

Mama Doe
Ok have just been informed a 6 foot snake has escaped from the street behind me ..:(:(:censored::censored: Do I lock the rabbits in there sheds till its found or do you think it wont come near here I have a fence all around my garden and the rabbits are all in avairy runs do you think the will be safe ???

:censored: I am scared :censored: of snakes, I'd be proper petrified if that happened where I am! Me and Keith would be out the house looking for a bed for the night in a second....!

advice needed snake on the loose

OMG i am so glad that you are a long way away from me:DI am petrified of snakes (have a real bad phobia of them:cry:)i could never sleep if that thing was roaming loose near me:censored:Think that you have done the right think locking up your bunnies:)hope they catch that horrible long thing soon:censored:

I heard about that today when i was in work.

I did hear someone saying that it was recently fed and had never eaten live food before.....here's hoping its true!

The snake will be looking for somewhere warm to sleep, first and foremost. It should only have been fed dead animals, so hopefully it might not know what to do with live prey.

Lost snakes don't tend to get found, although given that it's six foot perhaps someone will notice it at some point!

Good luck sleeping until it's found!

Xxx

as long as the mesh is small enough to keep the snake out I'd leave them as they are. Or possibly let them in the run when you're around and shut them in to the shed when you aren't.

I wouldn't have thought most domestic snakes would go out of their way to get in to a rabbit enclosure to eat it. Most will have been fed defrosted mice and other small things, even if they've been fed live food I doubt it will have been anything near the size of a rabbit so the snake may not see it as potential food. They also won't have learned to work for their food, so if it requires any effort to get in to the enclosure I reckon they'd give up unless they're absolutely ravenous and there's nothing else around.

don't worry yourself too much, just be a little extra cautious and keep your ear open for any news.

I would keep them outside rather than in... I know this wont soothe you much but will help with the bunnies but as said above, the snake will be looking for somewhere warm and i would guess it would be more likely to be found in a house than outdoors.

Do you know what species of snake? This is important as its not so much length that is the threat it is girth. Some 6 foot snakes (such as ratsnakes) will be unable to manage something as large as a rabbit for example as they are quite slender.

Also, as mentioned above, it has been recently fed and *shouldn't* have ever been fed live food so the likelyhood is it is in this guy's house (probably under the floorboards near the bathroom (this is quite usual for escapee snakes)) curled up somewhere warm to digest its food.

Unfortunately, it is common that snakes can escape for months without being found but i do doubt it will get into your shed. If it gets outside, it wont be for long as they do not like wide open spaces so is likely to just hide out somewhere.

I would say keep your bunnies in the shed and let them out under supervision for the time being :)

:shock: How horrible, I think if you have really good quality runs with tiny weld mesh they would be fine but, just be really vigilant, if you have small dogs keep an eye on them aswell - if it's 6ft long it's likely to be able to eat quite big things bleurghhh - how they hell can that slither out of the house with no-one seeing it?:?

Ok have just been informed a 6 foot snake has escaped from the street behind me ..:(:(:censored::censored: Do I lock the rabbits in there sheds till its found or do you think it wont come near here I have a fence all around my garden and the rabbits are all in avairy runs do you think the will be safe ???

rofl sorry its funny our baby snake just turned up after been missing a month
ok what type of snake is it and what breed is your rabbit ?
at 6 ft its probably eatng rats not rabbits however if it has left the house dout it but if it has nothing would stop it trying and snakes can get into the smallest space if it wants to personally yes i would lock them up but on the other hand the snake could be missing for months even years people lose them and they turn up years later :roll: as i said our baby went missing over a month ago and turned up under the tv ! they can go up to a year without food too :?
good luck dopanic if you see it snakes cant harm you ok some will bite but they can cause too much harm at 6ft hence my 9 year old sons snakes will be 6 ft when they reach adult ;) if its a pet and has been well handled you probably could just pick it up and take it home :love:

:shock: How horrible, I think if you have really good quality runs with tiny weld mesh they would be fine but, just be really vigilant, if you have small dogs keep an eye on them aswell - if it's 6ft long it's likely to be able to eat quite big things bleurghhh - how they hell can that slither out of the house with no-one seeing it?:?

at 6ft i wont be able to eat anything bigger than a large rat nethie sized rabbit
id be more worried about a dog harming the snake :?
oh snakes are great escape artists ;)
but they are also wonderful and make great pets its a shame they have such a bad reputation :(

at 6ft i wont be able to eat anything bigger than a large rat nethie sized rabbit
id be more worried about a dog harming the snake :?
oh snakes are great escape artists ;)
but they are also wonderful and make great pets its a shame they have such a bad reputation :(

Thats reassuring then:lol: I thought 6ft sounded quite large but, then I suppose they swallow it whole:?

I will take your word for it regarding them being great pets as I don't agree with them as pets or understand the appeal but, each to their own :wave:

[/B]

Thats reassuring then:lol: I thought 6ft sounded quite large but, then I suppose they swallow it whole:?

I will take your word for it regarding them being great pets as I don't agree with them as pets or understand the appeal but, each to their own :wave:

we have 2 snakes both under a foot long at the moment for a snake to eat a lets say a cat or rabbit your looking at say 12ft + ;)
here is my kids holding 4ft and 6ft snakes ;)
reptilenight220098.jpg

reptilenight2200923.jpg

reptilenight220093.jpg

reptilenight220092.jpg

reptilenight22009.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: Cute kids and brave! Still not convinced sorry - don't get it, just can't see the appeal - don't get me wrong I wouldn't harm one and I am not scared of them, just not for me. :)

:wave: Cute kids and brave! Still not convinced sorry - don't get it, just can't see the appeal - don't get me wrong I wouldn't harm one and I am not scared of them, just not for me. :)

same here, I've never got reptiles. fair amount of hassle for a pretty boring pet if you ask me.
we all like different things though I suppose!

It's a 6ft Boa Constrictor - jeez!!

dont panic the snakes in the pics are rainbow boas they are not that big ;)
and the photo of my daughter sat with the snake next to the boy the snake in that pic is freddie and he is over 6ft :D

Last edited:
Back