• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long is your rabbit in the run for?

weedug

Mama Doe
Just wondered how long other buns get out for.

And does everyone have a separate run for each rabbit group, or does each group get shots at being in the run?

I have one group of 3, they have the whole triple garage 24/7. But go out for 2hours a day in a run on the grass.

my girl bunnies have 24 hour access to two 6x3 runs.

My male bunny is in a fairly small hutch/run setup and we don't let him out every day because we haven't got a big run for him yet and it winds up the girls to see him running around the garden. It's only temporary though.

If I had groups I'd probably try bonding them all together so that they could all share a run 24/7.

It depends. I mean, mine have the run of their respective rooms for at least 6 hours a day. But if they go on the grass they have separate runs and will go out for a few hours.

My outside ones all have a permanent run attached, but on days when its sunny they go out on the grass in runs (I have five varying sized runs that go on the grass), for as much time as possible, so from as early as posisble until i feel its too late (which may be after it gets dark, or may be before, depending on the temperature).

Mine are indoors buns at night and outdoors in day. They (well just Gertie at the mo because Robert is poorly) go out from 6am til 9 pm daily. :wave:

Butter & Blackie have a garden extension on the aviary, which they have access to from approx 10am - 9pm

Dan & Clo have their half of the aviary, and go into the large run on the lawn for approx 6 - 8 hours a day.

Mine are house buns and only go out for an hour or 2 here and there when there is someone to supervise and it's nice and sunny.
I also don't want to upset their tummy by letting them have too much grass at a time as they aren't used to it

Mine are house buns and only go out for an hour or 2 here and there when there is someone to supervise and it's nice and sunny.
I also don't want to upset their tummy by letting them have too much grass at a time as they aren't used to it

same here :wave:

Around 12 hours a day - either in an enclosure 23 x 18ft (if I am in the garden) or if I'm out then in the 8 x 8 ft run (which has a secure lockable top). For the rest of the time he has free run of an 8 x 6 ft shed and a small run outside.

Permanent access to runs, but they are so lazy I would say they actually only use them for about an hour a day :roll::roll:

Cloud & Barley have a run attached to their hutch and Brian has a run attached to his playhouse. They have access to those from when I get up and go and open the cat flaps (this tends to vary depending on when I wake up! :lol:) and they get shut back in their hutch/playhouse when it's getting dark. I don't let them have access to the runs 24/7 as I made them myself and I don't trust my DIY skills to hold up to any foxes or cats that may show an interest!

Pharrell and Daphne just have a hutch at the moment but I put them in my big run during the day. I'm waiting for Brian's hormones to go down after his neuter and then I'm bonding them into a trio (*hopefully!*).

Thistle and Jess have my big shed and are let out to free range when I'm down the garden. Sometimes this is for the whole day and sometimes if I'm busy they'll only get out for an hour or so. :oops: If I don't have time to let them out for long, I'll make sure I pick them a mahoosive pile of grass.

Mine have had a huge garage and then 4 hours a day free range time (have a 90ft garden) in the summer about an hour in the middle of winter, and all day free ranging usually at the weekends. They will now have 24 hour access to a 8ftx6ft run from their 8ftx6ft shed (its fox proof) plus their usual free range time.

Last edited:
How come no one jumps on you when you say that? :?

Lots of people do this, its up to the individual what they are willing to risk, this has been discussed so many times but ive never seen anyone 'jumped on' for it :? I personal wouldnt risk unsupervised free range time but i cant say hand on heart i dont take my eyes of them for a second but i am here when they are free ranging keeping an eye on them.

My two are free range house buns but if it's warm enough, then I leave the french doors open for them to free range in the garden too.
I call them back into the house if I'm going out/upstairs though :)

How come no one jumps on you when you say that? :?

:lol: I've never had anyone jump on me before :shock: However I don't particulary like runs and wouldn't ever have a bunny confined to one, but thats just a PERSONAL OPINION. Seeing my rabbits free range getting the near enough experience to 'wild' is the best thing ever. I am willing to take the risk and if anything happens I whole heartedly know it will be my fault. However, benefits outweight cons and I think free ranging my rabbits is minimal risk IMO. I won't give them anything less really!! There is always more or less someone home all the time so if anything happens at least it won't go unnoticed.

Back