• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Okay *RABBIT FOR MY BIRTHDAY* but need some advice :D

AndreaMcKay

Young Bun
Okay so im finally allowed a bunny:D
Im new to this site too, i thought it would be helpful so anyways, i need advice on choosing a breed.
I was looking at french lops or mini lops but which ones would you advise? Plus will i be best to get one or do they need a friend cuz iv heard there hard to bond?
Also i have a rather hyper red setter dog, any tips on how i can her to at least ignore the rabbit?im not looking for them to snuggle on a sofa or anything bercause that would NEVER happen with our roxy, btu she is a very lovable dog so who knows :lol:
Also tips on hutchs, runs would be highly appreciated and what type of veggys do they eat as iv heard cabbage aint good?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure we provide the right care for the wee bun :)
OH and what age should i look for?

Hello :wave:

Why don't you head over to the Rabbit Care section on this forum and have a read around Diet, Behaviour and Housing. This is a good place to start to learn about rabbits.
You might also find these articles helpful:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

Also make sure you don't fit any of these Q's first too! ;)
http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/bug2.asp?newsID=1

With so many rabbits in rescue, finding a good rabbit rescue is your best bet to find a bun to suit your needs, and better still you will get up to the minute advice from those really in the know, and most rescue buns come neutered and vaccinated which will help with those early health and financial worries! :wave:

ETA Not sure if there are any rescues in Ireland? :? I hope there are!

p.s. bunnies are social and prefer company from their own kind, they also need minimum requirements for housing and exercise, an appropriate diet and lots of tlc and things to do to keep them entertained. If your bun/bunnies are going to live in the house you will need rabbitproof your home for their safety and your peace of mind.
With regard to dogs you might find this article helpful:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html They should never be left together unsupervised. Remember, bunnies are prey, and dogs are predators so caution must be used at all times.

The House Rabbit Society also has some excellent care articles :wave:

Last edited:
I would give your local rescue centre a call and ask them for some advice. They will be able to recommend a pair of bunnies suitable for you.

Hi,

do you have a rabbit rescue in your area? They would be the best place to go to and get some advice, apart from this forum, of course. :) You can meet the rabbits there and see if you like any of them. Rescues often have bonded pairs, so that would save you the trouble of doing the bonding yourself. Plus the rabbits would be neutered and vaccinated (if it is a good rescue).

I don't think any breed is better than another, but if you are new to rabbits, it's best to stay away from the extreme breeds like long haired ones that need a lot of grooming, and rex bunnies, who can get problems with their hocks. Most of my bunnies are cross breeds and they are all lovely. I have one mini-lop, who has a great character, and is certainly easier to handle than a big French lop.

I volunteer for a rescue and we quite often get rabbits from people who say that their dog didn't leave them alone, so I am always a bit sceptical about keeping dogs and rabbits in the same place. But many people here on the forum have both, and it works fine.

Hello, welcome to RU! :D It's great that you're doing some research before getting your buns! I say 'bunS' as they need to be kept in pairs or groups, being social animals. I too must recommend rescuing rabbits. They'll be neutered, vaccinated and bonded already, which'll save a hell of a lot of hassle. You'll also be able to pick them for their personalities, as well as their looks, which you can't do at a breeders or petshop.

I assume you're planning on keeping them outdoors? If so, a shed's better (and often cheaper!) than a hutch. If you do go the hutch route it'll need to be at least 6ft long, and preferably 2 stories, with an attached run. Rabbits are incredably active (search 'binky pictures' and you'll see what I mean!) so will need several hours of free range time every day, unless they have a shed with an aviary attached.

As for the veggies thing, search 'suitable vegetables' and you'll find loads of lists. Grass is the best possible food for them though, and hay of course. Grass and hay will need to make up 80% of their diet in order to keep them healthy.

With your dog, you'll want to intoduce them very gradually. Keep them entirely seperate for the first week, just let him/her smell them on you. Work up to showing her them in the run (with her on a lead) from a distance, and if she reacts well take her a little closer each time. I really can't recommend letting them together though, as you never can trust them completely. Even if she trod on one or knocked one over by accident, she could really hurt them. Better safe than sorry!

Good luck with finding your buns, and if you've any more questions, just ask!

Last edited:
Aw gosh thanks for your replies :D
Didnt expect it so quick:lol:
Well i havent heard of a rescue centre around here but who knows il have to search and ask people around the area
Thanks for all the advice!
My birthday is on friday but im going away on holidays in july for 2 weeks, so were waiting til afterwards before we get a rabbit/s but il be sorting out somewhere for them to stay before.
Thanks for the helpful links too:D
Youl probably be hearing alot more from me from july onwards :lol:

Back